Problems after replacing hub assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sucks. And I’m usually pretty self reliant and if I can do it myself, I will. Not afraid to get under the hood even though with this one I have to stand on a step ladder lol. I don’t have a clue with this and afraid of making it worse.
Not wanting to sound rude, but are you able to change a tire?

If so, checking your front wheel might be in in your wheel house (pun intended)

If you jack up that corner of the vehicle, grab the wheel at the 3 and 9 o’clock position and wiggle it. If you get it to move a lot, you may have tie rod and/or ball joint issues.

While it’s up, and in 2WD, spin the wheel by and see if you can get it to make noise while it’s spinning.

OP
OP
SassyiaGal

SassyiaGal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can most definitely change a tire just a bit slower than some. Couldn’t even get my permit until I could do that, change my oil & spark plugs. parents wanted to make sure I could handle myself if the need arise. It does wiggle side to side. I’ll try spinning it tomorrow and update. Think my son & I are going to replace the other side hub assembly tomorrow and while it’s up see what/if we can see what’s going on with drivers side.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could even be loose wheel lug nuts too. Your parents did good, and you got your son to help. That's a bit more mechanical background in your favor than you led on. How old is your son? If you 2 think you can change a wheel bearing on one of these rigs you both have the capability to figure it out.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can most definitely change a tire just a bit slower than some. Couldn’t even get my permit until I could do that, change my oil & spark plugs. parents wanted to make sure I could handle myself if the need arise. It does wiggle side to side. I’ll try spinning it tomorrow and update. Think my son & I are going to replace the other side hub assembly tomorrow and while it’s up see what/if we can see what’s going on with drivers side.
Perfect.

Great time for both of you to learn together. As others have mentioned, folks here are more than willing to help you along the way. YouTube is your friend as well.

Please make sure you use a good jack and get some jack stands under the vehicle before you work on it.

You will need a 36mm socket to get the axle nut off so you can remove the hub.

Be prepared for the hub to be a little stubborn to get out of the knuckle if it’s been living on Iowa winter roads.

If this is your only vehicle, you will want to make sure you have what you need so you don’t get stuck in the middle of it and not have a back up vehicle.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Start off with the basics just jack one front wheel off the ground at a time and shake the hell out of it up down left right feeling for any looseness or clunking. And spin the tire by hand feeling and listening for the same.
Yep! I’d focus on the side causing problems first. Once that’s figured out, then go to the other side.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

It is a damn shame that folks at that shop are trying to take advantage of you.

15burban

Reaction score
It is a damn shame that folks at that shop are trying to take advantage of you.
Makes me glad I'm able to work on my vehicles. Then if I mess something up I know who's arse to chew out.

Like what was mentioned if you have any problems during your shake down the fine folks on this forum will be glad to help you through it. Pictures and videos are a big help if you do have any questions/problems.

Gearz

Reaction score
This is my thought with over 30 years of being a tech seeing what hacks do every day and how unhonest they are. When a front hub is pulled from a 4wd there will be rust behind the rotor and the hub surfaces that need to be cleaned for obvious reasons. It sound like they didn't do that for one. They should have offered you a OEM part or Timken bearing because that's who makes bearings for GM at a cheaper price like on Amazon. I will bet that they turned the brake caliper and twisted the flexible brake hose that will cause a lot of issues. Also the backing plates ( dust shield ) will rust and make a scraping sound pus they could have disturbed the brake pads. There is a process that has to be performed to do this job correctly. Please find a reputable shop that will do the job correctly. I wouldn't let them touch my truck again. Again not knowing your truck and not being able to drive it these are the things that might of happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ojb226

Latest posts