Need to Replace Upper Control Arms and Ball Joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey do you have a link for those or part number? I`m gonna purchase everything today and do it next weekend
Dorman - Help Alignment Cam Bolt part# 13512

When I did mine last year and ended up breaking one of the alignment cam bolts I ran to the local Advanced Auto and bought 2 of them, which was good because the one on the other side broke also, lol.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hopefully a mod can move this to Street Suspension for better response results. Work like this is my bread and butter. If you have the knowledge, will power, tools, time and don't mind scraped knuckles, this is all doable. Lots of videos or a knowledgeable friend. This is not work you will do with a screwdriver. Be careful. Can bite you if not careful. Thread tie rods back to the same area as old ones. Good luck. Do complete arms.

OP
OP
Justinthewoods

Justinthewoods

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hopefully a mod can move this to Street Suspension for better response results. Work like this is my bread and butter. If you have the knowledge, will power, tools, time and don't mind scraped knuckles, this is all doable. Lots of videos or a knowledgeable friend. This is not work you will do with a screwdriver. Be careful. Can bite you if not careful. Thread tie rods back to the same area as old ones. Good luck. Do complete arms.
Gonna give her a go tomorrow wish me luck. Think I have everything as far as tools go but we’ll see

Attachments

• IMG_2234.jpeg
    IMG_2234.jpeg
    448.7 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Tie rods and idler arm if they’re worn since you’re in there and will need an alignment. Also, I like the DK Camber alignment cams, they have holes instead of one long slot, and they stay put. https://a.co/d/4OvXmcz
Problem with those is that to make adjustments you have to loosen it up quite a bit to lift the cam up over the pin to get to the next hole. With the slot style just losen the nut a bit and turn the bolt with a wrench on the head, done.

Coveman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The factory puts a plastic insert in the camber cam to hold it in stock position, and I’ve seen those stay put for a long, long time. Once the plastic insert is removed, however, I’ve had the camber re-adjust itself (bumps, hard braking) and then you’re troubleshooting front end wobbles and shakes. I was on a road trip last Christmas when this happened to me, so a got a cheap camber tool that helped get me back on the road.

YIQI Adjustable Magnetic Gauge Tool Camber Gauge Castor Strut Wheel Alignment for Car Truck https://a.co/d/gPyY6ss

Checking the toe isn’t hard either, and after rebuilding my 99 Burb’s front end I aligned it with a level, string and a tape measure. When I took it in for alignment it was balls on. I had marked everything too, but just counting threads on the new tie rods turned out to leave the toe out of spec. Plenty of diy alignment youtubes if you are so inclined.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend doing the entire arm as that includes the bushings and balljoints, I would do upper and lower while in there:
Upper left: MOOG RK80669
Upper right: MOOG RK80670
Lower left: MOOG RK620888
Lower right: MOOG RK620889

Might as well do tie rods while you're in there:
Outter x2: MOOG ES800223
Inner x2: MOOG EV800084

Might as well do wheel bearings while you're in there:
both sides: MOOG 515096

Front sway bar end links:
MEVOTECH TXMS50820
Why not do a set of shocks as well lol