Stubborn Uppper Control Arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long time no post! New job with agency take home vehicle and very crazy summer with work, so nit much time either the Tahoe and a few short trips cross-town.

Time for annual safety inspection... fail. Upper ball joint was bad.

Upper control arm bolts would not budge with hammer, so I went and got an air hammer. Still no luck!

I failed RMV safety inspection with bad upper ball joint. Bushings look like crap, so I wanted to replace the arm with new assembly. I gotv the ball joint out of the knuckle, but I could not get the two bolts out at all.

Decided to pick my battles and just do what needed to be done to pass inspection. Popped a new ball joint in. At some point, I'd like to get the the control arms next spring when it warms up again.

Tips/tricks/procedure suggestions? I know I'm not the first to have this happen...

Cut through bushings and both ends of the bolt with cutoff wheel? Is that best or only way? Would need new bolts at that point.

Thanks!

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you not get the nuts loose or just removing the bolt from the assembly?

At the 3:40 mark, he was using an air hammer. That's actually surprising they are that stubborn...hth.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long time no post! New job with agency take home vehicle and very crazy summer with work, so nit much time either the Tahoe and a few short trips cross-town.

Time for annual safety inspection... fail. Upper ball joint was bad.

Upper control arm bolts would not budge with hammer, so I went and got an air hammer. Still no luck!

I failed RMV safety inspection with bad upper ball joint. Bushings look like crap, so I wanted to replace the arm with new assembly. I gotv the ball joint out of the knuckle, but I could not get the two bolts out at all.

Decided to pick my battles and just do what needed to be done to pass inspection. Popped a new ball joint in. At some point, I'd like to get the the control arms next spring when it warms up again.

Tips/tricks/procedure suggestions? I know I'm not the first to have this happen...

Cut through bushings and both ends of the bolt with cutoff wheel? Is that best or only way? Would need new bolts at that point.

Thanks!

I had to cut mine out. Take the nut off. Cut the head of the bolt off. Remove the cam plates. I cut the a-arm hoop off the mounts to get more room/access. Pry the frame ears enough to get a metal cutting blade in the gap to cut the bolts. It's a workout. PB Blaster, heat, impact hammer didn't so jack sht for me. And be careful not to knock the locating pins for the adjustment cams out. If you have the factory plastic alignment locks label them and put them back in the same positions. Take pics for reference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts