Problems after replacing hub assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SassyiaGal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New Tahoe owner here & just needing a little guidance. Yesterday took Tahoe in to change tires. They said I needed a new drivers side hub assembly, had them replace it. Went and got my truck, made it 1 1/2 blocks & as soon as I got to 45mph there’s a screeching noise, it pulls to the right & it starts to clunk until I stop and than it goes fine until 45mph. I took it back & without even removing the wheel they tell me it’s because I need ball joints & ti rods. Any ideas as to what happened so I can fix it? I needed those things before I went in but didn’t have these problems. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
SassyiaGal

SassyiaGal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First, welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Second, what are you driving? Year? Make? Model? Is it under warranty? Who is "they"? How do you know it "needed those things" before you went in for tires?
Thank you for the welcome. Sorry for not giving better specifics, first time on a forum. I have a 2001 Chevy Tahoe 5.3 v8. No warranty. I took it to a local mechanic shop in southern iowa. I was told by my friend with the age of it I would probably need to replace the ball joints soon & sway bar bushings.
First, welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Second, what are you driving? Year? Make? Model? Is it under warranty? Who is "they"? How do you know it "needed those things" before you went in for tires?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where at in Iowa are you located?

I’ve never seen bad toe rods or ball joints to cause screeching sounds, just clunking.

I’d get a 2nd opinion from a different mechanic.

One thought is while changing the wheel bearing, they may have tweaked the brake line and if it is original, caused the inner lining to break lose and not let your caliper fully retract.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
New Tahoe owner here & just needing a little guidance. Yesterday took Tahoe in to change tires. They said I needed a new drivers side hub assembly, had them replace it. Went and got my truck, made it 1 1/2 blocks & as soon as I got to 45mph there’s a screeching noise, it pulls to the right & it starts to clunk until I stop and than it goes fine until 45mph. I took it back & without even removing the wheel they tell me it’s because I need ball joints & ti rods. Any ideas as to what happened so I can fix it? I needed those things before I went in but didn’t have these problems. Thanks in advance.
So they did the work on the driver's side/left side, and after 45 mph it pulls to the right or pulls to the right when applying brakes at 45 mph? The "friend" had said would likely need ball joints and sway bar bushings based off of mileage and did not look at it, correct? What happened or was said at the local mechanic shop in southern Iowa and why was the truck taken there? was the friend working there? Was the truck inspected before purchase? Inspected at the mechanic's shop and if so, what did they say? When you took it back, after the noise and pull, did they say it needed ball joints and tie rods before the hub assembly or that was found during hub assembly or they did not look and they just were saying it needed ball joints and tie rods after this much mileage? By the way, how many miles on this truck?

A pre purchase inspection could have saved a lot of this hassle, if it was never done.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They clearly don't know WTF they are doing, this makes me furious. Don't let them take advantage of you. Get a 2nd opinion. Look at local ma and pa shops with good google ratings. You have nobody mechanically inclined to help I assume?

OP
OP
SassyiaGal

SassyiaGal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I
Where at in Iowa are you located?

I’ve never seen bad toe rods or ball joints to cause screeching sounds, just clunking.

I’d get a 2nd opinion from a different mechanic.

One thought is while changing the wheel bearing, they may have tweaked the brake line and if it is original, caused the inner lining to break lose and not let your caliper fully retract.
I’m down in Lamoni, very small town.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076