Aluminum / XFE NNBS Front Suspension Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
petethepug

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I don’t know anymore. All my enthusiast tech buddies from dealerships have moved on. Time will tell what Arnott is up to with only re-purchasing customers used front z55 cores and selling both the 95 & 55 fronts as cross compatible.

It’s also strange Arnott removed the lifetime warranty April last year. Not sure if they did that to their entire product line or not.

OP
OP
petethepug

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
My head is spinning. There's so much misinformation and cr@p available online for replacement struts and shocks for this 09 Escalade. @justchecking thread got me grounded when he replaced the z55 struts and OEM springs on his 11 Burb. He found different part #'s for the L/R springs here ...

You would think they would have to match so something was up.
I replaced both shocks (GM 19420492) and both springs (GM 20842474 Left and GM 20842473 Right).

little-nicky-evil.gif

@swathdiver verified one post later that both the struts on his two trucks are the same. Fortunately, I found a dealership store online that verified compatibility with two factory numbers using the same coil spring on both sides for my Esky. I'll post up the info (info added 7 days later below) after I get the cold steel in my grimy hands. Anyway, a set of front OEM spring have been ordered and on the way.

20842473 shows as compatable for both the L/R.

Esky Springs Front.PNG

I completely veered away from buying a preloaded set with all the components assembled. Getting the lifetime guarantee on the OEM / BWI / AC Delco z95 magride struts is too good a deal for down the road budgeting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
petethepug

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Dropped the hammer on the majority of the parts needed for the front end rebuild. This was a dent to the pocketbook, but all in the big plan. It was the reason for selling the 08 YXL Denali a few years ago. If I was going to rebuild the suspension on a keeper vehicle, I'd rather have it be an e85, non-AFM truck that didn't need a total respray in black because GM's clear coat disintegrating.

Esky RA Parts.PNG

BTW the GM Part Number: 19420992 above had Supersession from the old MagRide strut #19353951. R/A doesn't share that info but GM websites do. BTW the current dealer retail on these is $681.82 ea.

R/A won out on the majority of the parts ordered because of pricing, shipping and that awesome 5% discount that more than offset the shipping charges. The OEM MagRide/z95 were only $309.79 ea for the fronts.

I'll find out when the strut mounts come in if they're really needed. I can't tell if there's an internal rubber bushing sandwiched inside the part or not. Obviously if there's no rubber bushing, I'll return them because the metal caps don't wear.

So far the part scrounging, including the updated list of Aluminum suspension and their bushings on the 1st page totals $1,522.17.

Last edited:
OP
OP
petethepug

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Fortunately getting busy and blowing my budget last year on a new trans helped with several issues I was coming up against when it came time to rebuild the front end.

1) Discovered the front end can get the XFE lightweight alum treatment to save on weight.

2) FastGas on the CF discovered that the OEM 22" rims interfere with the CTS-V Brembo 6 pot caliper upgrade .5" longer studs and .5" spacers are needed up front ...

3) @skpyle discovered that...
If I were running the original, or OEM replacement brake hoses, then the new GM banjo bolts would have fit just fine. However, the banjo fittings on the Powerstop braided steel hoses are thinner than the stock line fittings. It felt to me like the GM banjo bolts would bottom out in the calipers. I could not use the banjo bolts included with the Powerstop braided lines...

So while the hubs are being swap'd out for the front end rebuild I'll have the OEM wheel studs pressed out and .5" longer ones installed along with the .5" wheel spacers. This will be one less step that'll have to be completed when the CTS-V BBK kit gets installed as well as a labor saver. Borrowed the pics below from FastGas
4774F7EB-6D65-496F-8704-C5FC23138D8C.jpeg
C64548F1-D072-44A0-81F0-23290BBABC5B.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
petethepug

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The strut mount GM shows specific to z55/95 vehicles is pricey. $142 x2 shipped was painful. The aftermarket that showed as comprible in some places and not in others, came in different shapes and didn't have some of the holes drilled around the brim of its hat like the OEM version.

It took R/A 48 hours to ship all the parts to me from back East. I'm impressed. More importantly I'm able to nail down that these strut caps are actually bearings. The strut caps do have a rubber donut pressed into crowned dome that's Non serviceable. They have to be replaced or you'll have just one more area for your struts to rattle around on.

Strut mount.PNG

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The strut mount GM shows specific to z55/95 vehicles is pricey. $142 x2 shipped was painful. The aftermarket that showed as comprible in some places and not in others, came in different shapes and didn't have some of the holes drilled around the brim of its hat like the OEM version.

It took R/A 48 hours to ship all the parts to me from back East. I'm impressed. More importantly I'm able to nail down that these strut caps are actually bearings. The strut caps do have a rubber donut pressed into crowned dome that's Non serviceable. They have to be replaced or you'll have just one more area for your struts to rattle around on.

View attachment 421724

I wonder what the functional difference is to the Z95 and/or Z55 mount. I converted my Z55 to "dumb" struts when I lowered using the Belltech SP adjustable struts that apply across the board for SUVs and trucks, active suspension or not. They fit my Z55 mounts just fine.

I was given some sub-6K-mile struts from a 2021 Sierra. I wanted them for the mounts and boots to replace my 230K-mile originals. I hope I can use the mounts. It might be just something else I "make happen".

OP
OP
petethepug

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I saw a pic of the 15-20 strut mount and it looked like the top and bottom cutouts in the mount were offset so the stem of the strut had to stab through at an angle.

I stumbled across a complete set of GM / BWI 15-20 z95 front & rear struts and the fronts were loaded with the springs and all the ancillaries for $840 on eBay. Purposely didn’t save the link so I wouldn’t be tempted to shortcut and possibly get and incompatible set.

OP
OP
petethepug

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
World Parts Direct / WPD was the best deal for OEM replacement front springs. I’m sure their 7 day shipping had something to do with it.

# 20842473 is what GM shows as the correct spring for almost all 6.2L Yukes, Esky, hybrids & some Silverado. $264.54 delivered (ouch) from the WPD store on Amazon

# 20842474 &
# 20842472
also show as compatible but NLA or ****! Gone. Depending on where you look they’re specific to the R or L side. I found info on a GM Dealer site that 20842473 works on both L & R. Since there’s only NOS of that spring left on the planet, that’s what I went with.

For you Esky owners wanting to build your own loaded z95 replacement struts, the best bang for using OEM parts is $675.60 or a set for $1,351.20.

If you grab the Monroe springs mentioned below, the price goes down to $568.33 ea using aftermarket springs. Not bad considering with either spring you get a lifetime guraantee on the struts from GM. Keep in mind todays date is 2-20-24.

5A50F26D-1306-4D0F-9BB0-38F0FC032883.jpeg
Yea, there’s a Sprite can in there for scale.

Last edited:
OP
OP
petethepug

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
MONROE AFTERMARKET SPRING FOR THE Z55/Z95 ARE BEING CLEARANCED OUT ON THE INTERNET FOR $25 EA.

They're a discontinued shock from GM and Monroe is dumping all theirs too. Part # 900132. Verify if you're buying a set or individually.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MONROE AFTERMARKET SPRING FOR THE Z55/Z95 ARE BEING CLEARANCED OUT ON THE INTERNET FOR $25 EA.

They're a discontinued shock from GM and Monroe is dumping all theirs too. Part # 900132. Verify if you're buying a set or individually.

Any idea how these ride compared to the OEM springs? It's really tempting to get a set. But, in trying to determine how it'd ride by comparison, I see your OEM ones have about 6.5 coils and the Monroes have about 5.5. This tells me it has a higher spring rate.

I just checked the strut assemblies I have from the '21 Sierra (which may have been an AT4). They have 4.75 coils. Makes sense, being a 4WD truck strut. I couldn't see my stock Z55 coils to count those. I'd have to put it in the air to get under it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts