Replace 5.3 l59 with this....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RobsFreeland

RobsFreeland

Old wild land firefighter
Reaction score
A question for black bear tuners. I’m a little nervous of the tune as I don’t know what to ask. The transmission shift by percentage? If I go with 89 tune will performance show a drastic drop if I use 87? Preserve towing in favor of loosing performance? Sorry to be a pia. I don’t know enough to ask the right questions can you elaborate a little on the tune please. I’m afraid of the if I only did this or that? Thanks

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
A question for black bear tuners. I’m a little nervous of the tune as I don’t know what to ask. The transmission shift by percentage? If I go with 89 tune will performance show a drastic drop if I use 87? Preserve towing in favor of loosing performance? Sorry to be a pia. I don’t know enough to ask the right questions can you elaborate a little on the tune please. I’m afraid of the if I only did this or that? Thanks
@BlackBearPerf

OP
OP
RobsFreeland

RobsFreeland

Reaction score
Put everything back in and ran it around, trying to get it not to stall. Doesn’t overheat, oil pressure ok, charges. Just need to drive so ecm can learn. Will post sound of motor, definitely gets a rise outta me. Thanks black bear for the tune.

OP
OP
RobsFreeland

RobsFreeland

Reaction score
So sounds like so far you are happy with the swap

So far it’s ok. Had to finagle with exhaust and copper high temp gasket material. Brakes are a little mushy bleed screw on pass front was leaking. Had to replace and will bleed brakes again. May have to take to Dyno to refine. Tranny seems to shift early, maybe I just need to jump on it and see the shift sequence. Trans does seem more responsive. Maybe I just need to drive it. Over all when I first started, just thinking cam, headers and cold intake I thought it would be relatively painless but turned out to be more than I expected. I am glad I did the swap it definitely freeded up the motor.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome. The trans may need a few drive cycles to get itself inline. Hell ive had my Silverado act funny for a day or 2 after just a battery change, so a project like you did may be the same.