Oil pressure 40cold/20-25hot, safe to drive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you're ready to tackle this from all angles. :thumbsup:

Did you get the updated VLOM? Have a new oil pressure sensor and screen ready (or clean the old screen) to go in when you have uninhibited access to it during the VLOM replacement.

He don't need no stinkin' VLOM, doesn't have AFM in that L92, you're slippin' man! LOL

Hopefully he just means a plain valley cover plate with new gaskets underneath and not an AFM part which is not needed but won't hurt a thing if he puts it in.

OP
OP
M

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He don't need no stinkin' VLOM, doesn't have AFM in that L92, you're slippin' man! LOL

Hopefully he just means a plain valley cover plate with new gaskets underneath and not an AFM part which is not needed but won't hurt a thing if he puts it in.
Haha yes just the cover plate, i just call it vlom since it’s easier:D

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Rookie slip-up! I'm always stuck in 5.3 mode!

@m1dn But, yeah, on the same note, the O-rings set in the valley cover seal the unused oil towers in the valley. If the cover is loose (gasket collapsed from age), then the O-rings might be leaking. A new cover with its fresh O-rings and gasket would eliminate this factor.

OP
OP
M

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rookie slip-up! I'm always stuck in 5.3 mode!

@m1dn But, yeah, on the same note, the O-rings set in the valley cover seal the unused oil towers in the valley. If the cover is loose (gasket collapsed from age), then the O-rings might be leaking. A new cover with its fresh O-rings and gasket would eliminate this factor.
Thank you for the help!
Will take cover along with valve cover gaskets in a week or two and see if anything changes, before i get into ordering oil pan

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the high-volume oil pump (HD towing package, right?) provide lower oil pressure compated to the standard-volume oil pump?

CaptainAmerica1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil change with fresh filter gets mine back up to 30-35 hot idle. I can tell when it’s been a while bacause mine starts drifting down to 20-25 hotidle.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the high-volume oil pump (HD towing package, right?) provide lower oil pressure compated to the standard-volume oil pump?
@Charlie207 The high volume oil pump is to run the AFM/DOD lifter system so if your motor had AFM it came from the factory with a High Volume oil pump.

The higher volume oil pump does not produce lower oil pressure than the standard version, it does the opposite it provides more oil but I think the general consensus is that once the AFM system is deleted the engine does not need that much oil pressure to operate thus a standard volume oil pump does just fine.

If you do not have oil pressure concerns before a AFM delete I would reuse the factory high volume oil pump or use a new standard volume oil pump if you want a new part.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Charlie207 The high volume oil pump is to run the AFM/DOD lifter system so if your motor had AFM it came from the factory with a High Volume oil pump.

The higher volume oil pump does not produce lower oil pressure than the standard version, it does the opposite it provides more oil but I think the general consensus is that once the AFM system is deleted the engine does not need that much oil pressure to operate thus a standard volume oil pump does just fine.

If you do not have oil pressure concerns before a AFM delete I would reuse the factory high volume oil pump or use a new standard volume oil pump if you want a new part.

Agreed. High volume and high pressure pumps when not needed just put extra, unnecessary stresses on some of the seals and more load on the engine, reducing net power.

I retained a high volume pump and even ported it when I did my delete because I knew I'd be beating on it like a red-headed stepchild and was willing to sacrifice a few ponies to ensure the +200K mile engine had great pressure.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. High volume and high pressure pumps when not needed just put extra, unnecessary stresses on some of the seals and more load on the engine, reducing net power.

I retained a high volume pump and even ported it when I did my delete because I knew I'd be beating on it like a red-headed stepchild and was willing to sacrifice a few ponies to ensure the +200K mile engine had great pressure.

I guess I'm just confused/not 100%...

My DoD was turned off via my BlackBear tune, and for as long as I've owned my Yukon it's had slightly lower than average pressure than normal (if that's a thing) .

30-35 psi at idle when engine up to temp, and 35-40ish cruising around. I don't really beat on it so I'm not looking at whatever it's max would be in 3rd gear at 6200 Rippems*.

I read here a little while ago that a high volume pump will give slightly lower oil pressure numbers across the board, and took it at face value.

*Rippems = RPMs

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm just confused/not 100%...
I consider the following "normal" from what I've experienced and read here at TYE for the past 4 yrs.

My 07 aluminum block 6.2, w/VVT, w/184k miles now, didn't come from GM with AFM.
Oil psi is:
35 psi hot at 1500-2000 rpm.
20 psi hot idle
cold idle (80*f) has 55psi

If you have an iron block, run the Melling M295 (12710303) oil pump, if aluminum block run the M365 (12710304) oil pump.

Doesn't matter what weight oil I run. Currently running 0w-20 but I have run 5w-30 and 5w-40 in the past.

I always run a Fram Ultra XG10575 filter

I drive conservatively and no towing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BattleBorn