Oil pressure 40cold/20-25hot, safe to drive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, thanks! It’s about 20-25 when idling or cruising at 1000rpm when fully hot, going all the way to 40-50 when i hit the gas
I just watched mine today and it sits at about 25 psi (per the who knows if it's calibrated guage) when cruising down the road around 1300 rpm. Drops to about 20-ish when sitting at a light. Always has 50 when cold for comparison

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm just confused/not 100%...

My DoD was turned off via my BlackBear tune, and for as long as I've owned my Yukon it's had slightly lower than average pressure than normal (if that's a thing) .

30-35 psi at idle when engine up to temp, and 35-40ish cruising around. I don't really beat on it so I'm not looking at whatever it's max would be in 3rd gear at 6200 Rippems*.

I read here a little while ago that a high volume pump will give slightly lower oil pressure numbers across the board, and took it at face value.

*Rippems = RPMs

There are far too many variables to say what is "normal". First off, are these pressures as estimated by looking at the gauge in the instrument panel? That, alone, is worth about a 10 psi +/- tolerance, at least. If they're accurate, then they're plenty good and "normal".

Pressure is a result of volume in a restriction. If you don't change the restriction but put more volume through it, as when installing a HV oil pump and make no other changes, then pressure can only be higher.

OP
OP
M

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just watched mine today and it sits at about 25 psi (per the who knows if it's calibrated guage) when cruising down the road around 1300 rpm. Drops to about 20-ish when sitting at a light. Always has 50 when cold for comparison
So mine is exactly the same it seems, with maybe 2-4psi less, thanks for checking!

OP
OP
M

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacing valley cover, pressure sensor and valve cover gaskets today-tomorrow, waiting for final parts today.

3 bolts on valley cover were finger-loose, didnt have to put any effort to unscrewing them, they just moved completely freely.
Got the idea to check them thanks to this great forum some time ago:)

Attachments

• F3E59435-1074-478E-BFE8-85B45B60270F.jpeg
    F3E59435-1074-478E-BFE8-85B45B60270F.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 265F8C1F-C19F-43DF-85A6-248FDF8C40AA.jpeg
    265F8C1F-C19F-43DF-85A6-248FDF8C40AA.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 12

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal! I had a similar experience when I did mine. Once the o-rings give up the ghost, no more tension. Keep us posted to the results.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@m1dn That valley looks very wet man, there is something happening in there that shouldn't be.

ScottTheEngineer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey folks!

Noticed i have lower than ideal oil pressure when yukon warms up.
Pickup tube seal most likely.

There is also small oil leak from the oil pan that i was going to tackle somewhere around April when it warms up and would be replacing pickup tube seal as well.

Wondering if it’s safe to drive with given pressure right now in shorter distances until April or park it and wait until i warms up?
Mine was the Overpressure bypass in the Oil pump. 1400 to get it replaced. Pressure hasn't gone below 40PSI since I had it replaced. Also, Why does this always happen when it's 8 deg outside? Can be a nice warm sunny day with a case of beer and a tool set.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(per the who knows if it's calibrated guage)

That's a good point. I have replaced the oil pressure sensor (such a fun job to practice my planks on) and when I first got my truck it seemed to have normal oil pressure when cold and hot, so that I never paid attention to it until it started reading 135psi one day, and 3psi the next day, and all in between.

Installing a new sensor got rid of the random pressure readings, but maybe? moved the operating range 5psi lower than when I first started driving it.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree with you. There are so many manufacturers of the pressure sensor that there is bound to be variations. As long as your pendulum doesn't swing and get stuck at either extreme, but hangs out in the middle zone you're good to go.

OP
OP
M

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@m1dn That valley looks very wet man, there is something happening in there that shouldn't be.
Yep, 3 bolts on it were completely loose, others not tight either, so oil was spitting out under pressure.

When i mean completely loose i mean like completely, take one finger and unscrew it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65