L86 recommended bolt ons before tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As much as I would love a supercharger... the wife has said not on this vehicle.... it’s the kid mobile that she drives a lot and she has a lead foot.

I have an intake in the box (going to reinstall for the new tune)... Are there any other recommended bolt on parts to install before getting the tune sorted?

I’m trying to see if she would let a set of headers slide... if run with the stock muffler she might not notice... but... she would notice me in the driveway with that install...

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what gain is to be had...With headers and stock exhaust ?
i know these are said to be not as restrictive, but what is the gain vs. stock if keeping everything else stock ?

i say... intake and high flowing catback ( add external wrap or insulation if sound inside is too much). AIR IN NEEDS AIR OUT, then you need fuel.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep your wife happy. Just finish your intake mod, and then, get the Black Bear tune. Both of you will be happy.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just to elaborate slightly...i am a fan of stock air boxs due to filtration, cold air intake placement ect...

i would like some feedback on this scenario...i typically remove portions of the stock box pre filter (generally forward facing), use a higher flow filter, and now looking into the airraid MIT.

i have never had any issues with the box allowing air or debris into the stock box.
your thoughts on gains or any issues are welcome

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just to elaborate slightly...i am a fan of stock air boxs due to filtration, cold air intake placement ect...

i would like some feedback on this scenario...i typically remove portions of the stock box pre filter (generally forward facing), use a higher flow filter, and now looking into the airraid MIT.

i have never had any issues with the box allowing air or debris into the stock box.
your thoughts on gains or any issues are welcome

For the testing we did back in 2012, the Airaid Jr (MIT tube and high flow filter) 201-796 did the best.

Our 2016 testing it was the AFE momentum GT 54-74104 that did the best. The 2016 testing results can be found here http://blackbearperformance.com/IntakeTestResults_2016.asp on our website.

OP
OP
F

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I got the air raid jr from you guys way back then when I ordered the efi live tune etc...

I just finished sorting the spal fan swap and ecu tune via hptuner (that was a learning curve and I hate to say it, but hptuner is easier to understand than efi live)
So next week I’m going to finally get what’s needed for you guys the Yukon tune... only took me 3-4 years lol

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I got the air raid jr from you guys way back then when I ordered the efi live tune etc...

I just finished sorting the spal fan swap and ecu tune via hptuner (that was a learning curve and I hate to say it, but hptuner is easier to understand than efi live)
So next week I’m going to finally get what’s needed for you guys the Yukon tune... only took me 3-4 years lol
Let us know if you have any questions on using the AutoCal again, since the new AutoCal V3 came out we have to use the EFILive V8 Beta software for now. Make sure to download the latest version of the beta. Here is a link to it https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?29727-September-2020-Beta-51-release-2

Also here is a link to our AutoCal instructions, http://www.blackbearperformance.com/autocal_management.asp make sure to follow the first generation AutoCal steps, not the AutoCal V3 steps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17