Engine Swap to stroked 6.0 (408) and general vehicle refurbishment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Chooko

Chooko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oo stroked 6.0 :beer:

I went from a 5.3 to a 6.0, just from the tune i have been running during the engine break-in, the difference between the 6.0 vs the 5.3 is pretty noticeable.
I wanted more low end mostly, and i got it.

i haven't done much with WOT yet, but the tune still needs work.

With my build, i also went with a new circle d converter.
I think at some point i tossed some trash through the cooler lines (or trash was already there) and it ended up taking out my thrust bearing twice.

That's where i sit now, get an oil filter cutting tool too.
I ran the extra capacity filter + i cut the filter open after ever 200 miles of engine break-in.
that saved my ass from losing a shit load of money. :jester:
I think I read that you are supposed to flush the transmission lines and the cooler before installing the new transmission. Sounds like that is what you are recommending here also? What did you find in filter and how did you use that information to prevent disaster? I've been wondering about this since I started this process, and although I'm a few months out from having the engine installed, I'm trying to learn all that I can right now. So your input is greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
Chooko

Chooko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't confirm either way. That's the part number that was listed on rockauto for the 2012 when I looked previously.
Huh, man, this is confusing. I'll update on here anything I find out, and also I'm sure I'll be posting about it here when I finally get the wheel and parts, and do the install.

OP
OP
Chooko

Chooko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought it'd be smart to replace the rear axle bearings and seals while I have everything apart to change out the gears and install the Truetrack. What was stupid, however, was thinking that I was ordering enough to do the whole car (2 sets) when in fact I only ordered 1. The second set is now on the way from Summit.IMG_4257.jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. By-the-by, what resource are you using to find all of these part numbers?
Lots of googling and pouring over parts lists. There were a couple of Avalanche forum, GM-Trucks and here that had the same numbers. I also used my Mitchell Crash Book before it was misplaced. Those numbers are several years old now, I would use OEM Cats and GMPartsDirect to see if new numbers are available.

Being in Florida, it's not really needed but may do it when I someday put in a locking Escalade column with electric tilt.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no programming necessary if that's what you are asking.
No, just asking if the pigtail was there and it was as simple as plugging it in. 07-08 trucks seem to not have that and you have to get your own power source from the junction block (aka, run your own wire so the gm harness you purchased isn't needed)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, just asking if the pigtail was there and it was as simple as plugging it in. 07-08 trucks seem to not have that and you have to get your own power source from the junction block (aka, run your own wire so the gm harness you purchased isn't needed)
I can't remember which part you are referring to. I didn't do it, just researched it a bunch of years ago. There were lots of pictures if memory serves. I do remember fellas saying that the wire harness was nice but not necessary, some made their own connector, some just used butt connectors. My memory stinks again.

Last edited:

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't remember which part you are referring to. I didn't do it, just researched it a bunch of years ago. There were lots of pictures if memory serves. I do remember fellas saying that the wire harness was nice but not necessary, some made their own connector, some just used butt connectors. My memory stinks again.

Thank you sir. You had the harness listed in the part numbers so I assumed you got it. No worries. I was just trying to confirm what years had the provision and which didn't, for @Chooko . I'm thinking his 2010 will have it and he can just plug the harness in and rock and roll. Obviously, he could just run a wire to a power source and save the $80 for the harness.

Thanks again for sharing all of this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645