Engine Swap to stroked 6.0 (408) and general vehicle refurbishment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Chooko

Chooko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you sir. You had the harness listed in the part numbers so I assumed you got it. No worries. I was just trying to confirm what years had the provision and which didn't, for @Chooko . I'm thinking his 2010 will have it and he can just plug the harness in and rock and roll. Obviously, he could just run a wire to a power source and save the $80 for the harness.

Thanks again for sharing all of this
Thanks much to you both for all the info. I ordered the parts (wheel, clock spring, + harness) last night. I'll check it out before I pull the old harness and if I dont need it I;ll just return it. I'll keep this thread updated...

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks much to you both for all the info. I ordered the parts (wheel, clock spring, + harness) last night. I'll check it out before I pull the old harness and if I dont need it I;ll just return it. I'll keep this thread updated...
Where did you get the parts from? Everywhere I looked was showing out of stock:(

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys went and got me wanting something I don’t need. Or do I?
It seems like such a little thing, but I have the heated wheel in my '12, but not in my '07, and every time I get into the '07 on a cold day (or ANY car without a heated wheel), I miss it instantly. That said, the implementation of it on these trucks isn't that great. There is a hot spot by the wheel spokes on the left and right side, and with the wooden inlay, parts of the wheel rim are cold and other parts are warm. So, like a cat, I find the warm spots. My BMW had a much better implementation of a heated steering wheel, with uniform heat at the perfect temperature.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys went and got me wanting something I don’t need. Or do I?
my 19 denali has it and I like it. I wish I had bought the steering wheel when rock auto had it in stock but I couldn't find the clock spring at the time:(

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I think I read that you are supposed to flush the transmission lines and the cooler before installing the new transmission. Sounds like that is what you are recommending here also? What did you find in filter and how did you use that information to prevent disaster? I've been wondering about this since I started this process, and although I'm a few months out from having the engine installed, I'm trying to learn all that I can right now. So your input is greatly appreciated!

Yeah, i had flushed the cooler lines out with just compressed air and since the radiator was out, i used my AC flush tool to flush forward and reverse on both the motor oil cooler side and the trans cooler side.

I might have just missed signs of back pressure/blockage.
My main focus was on the engine oil cooler side due to issues it had...

for the engine oil filter, I cut it open looking for excess metal.
expected to see some during break-in, but it should reduce after a while.

For me, it got worse.
And after i changed out the engine break-in oil to synthetic at about 1k miles, it got way worse.

cutting open the filter confirmed bearing material in the filter.

Back flushing the radiator trans cooler again, i removed metal pieces (caught with a rag).

I'm thinking my new converter might have had a little trash in it, or me running the engine for a sec with low transmission fluid might have damaged the pump and sent some metal into the cooler lines.

since it didn't seem to be an issue until after a while, i'm thinking there might have been a little trash in the converter.

With the apparent blockage in the transmission cooler lines, the only odd thing i noticed was a lack of engine breaking with the transmission in tow mode.

For the burned out thrust bearing, the only cause i can find was a possible blockage in the transmission, usually the cooler lines.
that causes a backup in the converter and will cause the converter to be shoved into the flywheel.

for the crap found in the cooler lines,
I'm not sure if that was related or not, but otherwise the transmission shifted fine.

right now, i have both trans coolers bypassed with some -6 an tubing i had on hand.

Once everything checks out, I'm buying a new radiator and front cooler.
I also bypassed the engine oil cooler for now, I don't trust the radiator.

OP
OP
Chooko

Chooko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM Parts Direct. Hopefully the wheel actually ships. If not I'm going to buy a used one and have it recovered by Dallas Custom Steering Wheels.
Well, the wheel is on indefinite backorder. So I take that to mean that its discontinued and not available. Looks like I'll be going the used wheel route.

OP
OP
Chooko

Chooko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i had flushed the cooler lines out with just compressed air and since the radiator was out, i used my AC flush tool to flush forward and reverse on both the motor oil cooler side and the trans cooler side.

I might have just missed signs of back pressure/blockage.
My main focus was on the engine oil cooler side due to issues it had...

for the engine oil filter, I cut it open looking for excess metal.
expected to see some during break-in, but it should reduce after a while.

For me, it got worse.
And after i changed out the engine break-in oil to synthetic at about 1k miles, it got way worse.

cutting open the filter confirmed bearing material in the filter.

Back flushing the radiator trans cooler again, i removed metal pieces (caught with a rag).

I'm thinking my new converter might have had a little trash in it, or me running the engine for a sec with low transmission fluid might have damaged the pump and sent some metal into the cooler lines.

since it didn't seem to be an issue until after a while, i'm thinking there might have been a little trash in the converter.

With the apparent blockage in the transmission cooler lines, the only odd thing i noticed was a lack of engine breaking with the transmission in tow mode.

For the burned out thrust bearing, the only cause i can find was a possible blockage in the transmission, usually the cooler lines.
that causes a backup in the converter and will cause the converter to be shoved into the flywheel.

for the crap found in the cooler lines,
I'm not sure if that was related or not, but otherwise the transmission shifted fine.

right now, i have both trans coolers bypassed with some -6 an tubing i had on hand.

Once everything checks out, I'm buying a new radiator and front cooler.
I also bypassed the engine oil cooler for now, I don't trust the radiator.
All of that gives me some food for thought...