iPod integration Review: iSimple aka PXAMG (GM5) for the 03+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Eagle

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, so when you are looking at this interface there is what look to be bus or svideo looking ports as well as RCA jacks. I understand that the interface uses the molex plugs to go in between the factory harness and the factory radio, and that the ipod cable plugs in to one of the bus/svideo ports. But my question is what are the rca plugs on these interfaces for? Are they input or outputs? and what can I input to them if they are inputs? Say a Parrott blue tooth adaptor?
Or is there an interface that does bluetooth and ipod??
You talked me in to keeping my factory radio and ordering buttons (which saved me a ton of cash), so now the wife is complaining about no bluetooth and no ipod.
Thanks

The 2 's-video looking ports' are the inputs to the device, there are no RCAs on the device itself.. There are TWO... IPOD + something else. Either RCA/3.5mm jack (supplied) or something else.

I don't know bout a Bluetooth adapter for it, as there was nothing in the catalog when I checked.

You can have devices on input 1 (ipod) and input 2 (______) without any cross talk. You may only listen to ONE of them.

The rcas are the 3.5mm jack and vice versa. It is not two different inputs, it is just both conectors at once. I have the Front DVD player on the 3.5mm and the rear jacks on RCA at the same time, because only one device would be in use at one time. If you want multiple sources, I recommend a source switcher, something I will do later.

Now I have a unit that has a mini-jack and RCA inputs. The RCA put the aftermarket DVD player through the system and I plug my iphone into the mini-jack. The result in either case is lower volume than FM or CD and when the truck is shut off an annoying "buzz-talking" audio like the XM is bleeding through. No HU or wheel controls of course.

My setup also relies on a 3 position switch to select from DVD/XM/Mini-jack. From what I'm understanding that switch goes away and it will automatically switch between DVD/ipod/mini-jack, thus losing XM (which I don't subscribe to) but gaining a charging ipod/iphone charger.

If all my assumptions are true then I have just a couple more questions:

1. is the audio level thru the PXAMG comparable to other radio functions?
2. what happens if more than one device is in play at the same time?
3. will my iphone charge even when it's not being used?
4. is it compatible to the iphone 4G coming out in 2 months? (jking)

I'm seeing these for just over $100 online and think it'd be worth it if the answers to these questions are positive.

Okm, I am not sure what device you currently have or even what assumptions you are making, but with this unit you do not lose any factory functions. You can choose ON THE RADIO either Ipod or Aux. there are no other switches. You can not choose between minijack or rca. They are the same input, input #2.

EDIT: i realized i didn't answer #1 #3 or #4, sorry bro.

#1 Yes. close enough, think it takes a couple of extra volume bars compared to CD or FM, but that could be a function of the mp3 audio level too.
#3 yes, even if you are listening to FM/CD.
#4, yes, of course. the 4G will use the same charging scheme as the iPhone 3G.

You said you tucked it in to the radio bay? By that do you mean you put it behind the head unit in that space?

How did you run the cables? Through the center console somehow? I was thinking of drilling a hole in the cubby between the power outlets in my '03 Yukon and running the iPod cable through that. Thoughts?

much easier question, thanks!

In the radio bay on the left side, there is an opening into the dash, I stuck the main unit back there. i ran the iPod and mini-jack cables down thru the center console as you surmised.

I then trimmed an oval hole in the back of the cupholder portion and fed the cable thru. I used a file to trim down and round-over the retaining prongs on the connector. I made sure my thickest case was on the iphone when determining the location for the connector hole and the amount of connector to leave protruding.
I then superglued the connector into place on the insert.

DSC_0003.gif

DSC_0051.gif

Now i just slide the iphone or nano into and off the connector, instead of having to hold the iphone with one hand and the connector with the other.

NOTE:
I needed to trim the plastic on the console just behind the connector last week for clearance. Though it fit without it the cable was actually being pinched. I did it with a Holesaw so it was a nice 1/2 round finished looking cut.

Last edited:

jmyler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that does look really good. Do you ever get tired of surfing through the iPod on the radio though? Seems like sometimes you would just want to pick it up and search for a song or artist.

OP
OP
Eagle

Eagle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i mostly do playlists, but yo can search by artist or album as well. it is no different than drilling down thru the ipod menus

jmyler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i think i could live with it but i like the new spotlight feature where you can just type in the name of a song that you want to listen to tap it and it starts playing, much better than drudging through menus. I would almost be willing to lose that functionality though to get the sleekness of your idea there i really like that. kudos.

OP
OP
Eagle

Eagle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ah, 1/2 the time i am using a nano 4g so I have never used spotlight.
It does lock out the screen which in my opinion is a good thing since some units that didn't seemed to alway have control problems and would freeze up. You can always take it off the connector, "spot light" & start the track and then plug it back... i have looked for a song that way a couple of times when I couldn't remember what playlist it was in or the artist name. 32 Gigs @ 320 kbps is a LOT of song titles to sort thru otherwise :)

jmyler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ah, 1/2 the time i am using a nano 4g so I have never used spotlight.
It does lock out the screen which in my opinion is a good thing since some units that didn't seemed to alway have control problems and would freeze up. You can always take it off the connector, "spot light" & start the track and then plug it back... i have looked for a song that way a couple of times when I couldn't remember what playlist it was in or the artist name. 32 Gigs @ 320 kbps is a LOT of song titles to sort thru otherwise :)

DUH haha i didn't think about that. I ordered mine this morning, can't handle no iPod integration since i've had it for 4 years now.

Fyrcaptain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PAC / Peripheral Electronics / iSimple / PXAMG (all the same), Lockpick,
USA Spec, GM and probably several others.......I've waited since 05 to get one, and back then there used to be only one manufacturer....lol

Seems like all have some kind of quirk or glitch, whether a cable issue, gateway issue or operational issue.

I like the fact that the USA Spec allows you to operate it either via the SAT or CD changer selections on the TNR Nav radio which allows for different ipod menu selections, but is not truely P-n-P as one wire from the XM has to be spliced.

Is there an particular brand ipod interface out there that is not prone to "issues" that numerous folks have installed?

Boomer73

Boom Boom
Reaction score
I just want to say that I installed this ************* last weekend and I think it sucks. Yeah it plays just fine but the nav screen is just about useless for finding what you want on your ipod with 10 gigs of music, movies, and pics (or more). This thing is very, very, very low tech. I regret greatly the $200 I spent at Best Buy on what cost some Chinese sweat shop probably about $3 to make.

To answer your questions Yargnits:

1. Audio level is fine, its the same as the radio as far as I can tell.
2. You can't have more than one device playing at the same time. You switch to the ipod and whatver was playing before stops playing.
3. yes, it will charge so long as you hook this thing up to RAP like it tells you. If you decide to hook it up to switched accessory power (not what the instructions tell you to do) it will only charge while the vehicle is on.
4. I have no idea.

My opinion: Unless all you want is a way to get your ipod sounds to your speakers, don't waste your money. It won't let you do anything else. No song title display, no album name/number, no artist, no idv3/4 tag info no album artwork, no playlists, noooooothiiiiiing. POS.

-B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justsmurph