Efans Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OKLAGMCRUISER

Need drop...send $
Reaction score
looking good, jenna, but your engine bay is very dirty...very dissapointed in you for that...lol.

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
We actually just took a ton of pics of an install we did for a customer and will be doing a write up for install along with a write up for supercharger install.

I can't find the pics of my fans that I had right now, but I will post them up when I have a chance to look further.

Hey, I've been emailing Justin about this. A write up would be swell, specifically the wiring part when using a 2 pin OEM harness. I mean the fan part is pretty straight forward to me it's the electrical that I am clueless about. Everyone says using the OEM 05+ fans and harness is "plug and play" but it seems a smidge more complicated and maybe it's not if you know where to plug what........ I'm gonna do the e-fan next week so if you happen to get the write up in before then that would be nifty...........

Mr45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. Anybody have a link to the fan setup to get?

Mr.Martin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this back in 04 before the silverados came stock with e-fans. Back then everyone used vette/camaro fans. They are smaller than the new fans but do just as good and can be had for 60-70 dollars. I also installed a 160 thermostat so water temp gauge never goes up past the 185 mark no matter how hot it is outside or how sprited my driving is ;)

Mr45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure if you guys are banned or not, but heres JKs write up someone was talking about.
http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=1718&highlight=electric+fan

Here is JK's writeup:

I have been asked by a few people for a parts list and instructions. I opted to put together my own kit, purchasing universal items here and there. Most of the wiring, relays, etc were stuff I have laying around the shop. It may be easier to purchase a complete kit from sources such as Summit Racing and Jegs, for they have everything you need with much more detailed instructions than I would be able to provide. I have, however, provided a list of parts I used and the removal procedure for the factory fan, shroud, fan clutch,etc.
For installation of your new electric fans, follow the guidelines with your new assembly. If your kit does not come with instructions, such as with some universal kits, feel free to PM me with the type of kit you purchased and I will help as much as I can. As for wiring, some kits will come with the required wiring, relays, instructions, etc., but like above, you may PM with any questions. It's been raining like crazy here and I've been so busy with work that I haven't been able to take any decent pictures, but will when I get a chance.
Here's a list of what I used:
Two(2) 16" Proform electric fans, S-curve type blades(quieter than straight blade design), 2500cfm each, w/mounting kit.
Three(3) SPDT relays, 30/40A. One for each fan, one to operate fans when a/c clutch is engaged.
One(1) adjustable electric fan control thermostat
One(1) 3A diode, to prevent feedback current to a/c clutch circuit
Two(2) ATC type fuseholders with 30A fuses
Misc related 12 ga. wire, solder, heatshrink,etc.

Following is the procedure for removing the fan shroud and fan blade/clutch assembly. This is for the 4.8 and 5.3L engines. The 6.0L procedure is almost identical, with the only difference being in the lower fan shroud removal. When I get a chance, I will post some detailed pics for the procedures below, pointing out locations and such.

Special Tools Required
J 41240 Fan Clutch Remover and Installer
J 41240-5A Fan Clutch Wrench

Fan Shroud Removal-Upper
Loosen the air cleaner outlet duct clamps at the following locations:
Throttle body
MAF/IAT sensor
Remove the radiator inlet hose clip from the outlet duct.
Remove the air cleaner outlet duct.
Reposition the inlet hose clamp at the radiator.
Remove the inlet hose rosebud clips from the following locations:
Fan shroud
Air cleaner outlet duct
Remove the inlet hose from the radiator.
Reposition the radiator inlet hose.
Remove the fan shroud retainers.
Remove the fan shroud bolts
Remove the upper fan shroud.

Removal Procedure for fan blade/clutch assembly
Install the J 41240 to the fan clutch. Using the J 41240-5A Fan Clutch Wrench on the hex shaft of the fan, loosen the fan clutch assembly.
Remove the fan blade.

After removing the fan, you can remove the lower fan shroud assembly.
The 6.0L will have a couple oil cooler lines attached to it which will need to be removed.

Hope this is helpful.

Flex-a-Lite fans from Summit Racing

Perma cool fans from Jegs http://www.jegs.com/p/Perma-Cool/Perma-Cool-Cool-Pack-Electric-Fan-Units/749975/12051/-1

Proform GM electric fans http://performanceparts.com/product_group.php?vendor=PRF&pgid=11&sgid=70&orderBy=MembersPOPRank%20ASC&page=1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10