Blue Behemoth Build Thread (01 Yukon XL)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aright alright alright finally decided to do a build thread, mainly under slight peer pressure from @Tonyrodz and @Rocket Man, on my 2001 Yukon XL 5.3

I’ve had this truck for a little over 10yrs, and aside from religiously doing oil changes, haven’t done much else to it, and since I plan to do a bunch of mods now, I figure one thread with progress would be better.

I recently installed fresh plugs and wires (AC Delco 41-114 plugs and AC Delco 9748HH wires). The engine is much smoother.

Planned mods/work coming up:

Throttle Body Spacer

Intake tube (going to use stock box w/ drop-in filter).

Update all lighting (exterior/interior)

Oil catch can

NNBS Brake Kit upgrade

Corvette Servo

Black Bear Tune

Electric fan upgrade

Overdrive pulley for alternator

Underdrive pulley for crank

Hydroboost upgrade

Update stereo

Please chime in if there are any highly recommended must-do mods I should do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah I also recently installed a Flowmaster Series 70 (Big Block II - Delta Flow) muffler, along with a straight through resonator. I’ll also be throwing in a resonated tip next weekend.

It sounds purrrfect now. Definitely louder than stock if you step on it, yet very, very quiet otherwise (especially inside the cabin). Idle sound outside sounds almost stock, just a little more bass.

I like being able to creep around quietly, yet have the benefit of straight through flow performance and a little growl under throttle.

B7D68C0D-AA84-431A-BEC5-36EFDEDC8730.jpeg F989A6E1-A0C0-4E28-BD52-FCDB50B00C69.jpeg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Well, it's about time!! Looks like you've covered most of the popular mods--that I can think of anyway. Don't forget--PICS!! Plenty of pics--we love pics around here, along with the occasional video of said mods. NOW GET TO IT!!:D:waytogo:

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Indeed, no time to waste. I plan to install the intake tube and throttle body spacer today. The drop-in filter is still in the mail, ordered the Afe - Pro Dry S filter.

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the tune up, along with the Airaid intake tube (200-912) and TB spacer woke the motor up a bit.

When I installed the TB spacer, I noticed a small river of oil dribbling out from the intake.

I cleaned it all out, but made the oil catch can the next on the list.

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone identify the PCV valve hose on the 01 Vortec 5.3, which I should be splicing the oil can into?

The Moroso instructions that came with the unit aren’t very helpful. They instruct to remove the PCV by twisting it, along with the port, but I didn’t want to snap it so I just slid the hose off what I think is the PCV hose.

The photo in the instructions however appear to show the guy holding the hose which mounts closer near the throttle body and has the Evap port inline.

Which hose is correct? The one with the green evap port or the one I removed?

BC2B1410-B3AE-4A2E-8B3E-95EFF615E1B0.jpeg 78A069FA-18A5-473D-8473-DABB328E5760.jpeg B5EAA88B-BBBC-4068-8C66-16D4E0C2C866.jpeg image.jpg

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Can anyone identify the PCV valve hose on the 01 Vortec 5.3, which I should be splicing the oil can into?

The Moroso instructions that came with the unit aren’t very helpful. They instruct to remove the PCV by twisting it, along with the port, but I didn’t want to snap it so I just slid the hose off what I think is the PCV hose.

The photo in the instructions however appear to show the guy holding the hose which mounts closer near the throttle body and has the Evap port inline.

Which hose is correct? The one with the green evap port or the one I removed?

View attachment 250450 View attachment 250452 View attachment 250453 View attachment 250454
Here ya go Ray--20200620_181143.jpg IMAG0483.jpg IMAG0485.jpg
I did mine 3 yrs ago so I had to go back to my build page. This is on a 6.0 in my 03. Should be the same as yours afaik.
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/tonyrodzs-tahoe-build-thread.92329/page-4
About 8 posts down.

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, indeed I did see this on your build thread, which gave me the idea to install on my 5.3, and further alerted me when I saw so much oil draining out of the intake.

The install seems easy enough, however I’m just confused as to which hose I should be splicing mine into.

Also, the Moroso can I got has a little spout on it, which allows it to be drained occasionally. Does yours too? How often do you clean yours out?

0F800409-1D22-453D-B71C-AE520144F0FC.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT