Blue Behemoth Build Thread (01 Yukon XL)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This video shows the stock speakers and I’m pretty sure all you need to do is mount the new 6.5’s in the same locations without adapters, might have to drill new screw holes. Do the speakers fit in the holes after you pulled the original speakers out?

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup still have the weather seal plastic. I was going to heat up the adhesive with a heat gun, and reseal it after I installed the speakers and sound deadening.

Both rear window regulators are toast, so going to do those as well while I’m in there.

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the vid, ya those look like mine. I’ll take a photo of the other side before tampering with it just for good measure.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup still have the weather seal plastic. I was going to heat up the adhesive with a heat gun, and reseal it after I installed the speakers and sound deadening.

Both rear window regulators are toast, so going to do those as well while I’m in there.
Just heat up the metal on the door and then press it on a section at a time so you don’t melt the plastic. I have been trying to remember what I did for my rear door speakers and found this video that I believe shows what I did. I remember cutting off the tabs that stick out on the plastic like he did at 7:40 in the video, and I think my speakers came with some adapter rings like he showed. Anyway, yes I did for sure reuse the original plastic mounts and I did for sure have to modify them, just not sure if it’s exactly like he does in the video. The first part about removing the nubs that stick out, I did that and remember it. As far as enlarging the hole, I’m not sure. I believe I removed the plastic mounts and worked on them on a bench until the speakers fit.

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm interesting, the stock mounts in my 01 don’t have those tabs, however they do have smaller bulbs sticking out, which I will trim.

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installing sound deadener was a heck of a lot easier with the window regulator removed. The fronts will be a little more interesting.

AB368C3F-5FA7-4C01-AA66-9F0BC84D8E14.jpeg

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when I removed the other regulator, I noticed that the zip tie holding the cables together was still intact.

I clipped the other one when I installed the drivers side.

Are these zip ties supposed to stay intact even after installing the regulator??

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, answering my own question... The zip tie should stay intact! When I pulled the front door panels, the window regulators have metal ties around the cables. I’ll re-zip the one I clipped.

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a sweet deal on a CompRT shallow 8” sub on eBay. I’m hoping it will just drop into the stock rear panel enclosure.

Being that the stock woofer is a single voice coil 2ohm, and I’ll be connecting the new (dual voice x 2ohm) woofer in series as a 4ohm woofer... Is it okay to use the original wiring?

I’ll be bypassing the amp anyway, but would like to avoid running a wire all the way back there is possible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is plenty of room below the center console for an amp... Has anyone installed an amp there?

What’s a good place to ground the amp near there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd