Best valve springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. I like the Whipple :)

Saw the Yella Terra stuff on his site. Pricey. Now you have me thinking about power adders :)
The YT’s are pricey but Roger told me they’re good for about 25hp/20tq so in reality at $700 that’s not all that bad. At a certain point hp gets pretty expensive once you’ve done the high hp-to-dollar mods like tune, cam, head work etc.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hahaha yes sort of, I know you always have a plethora of sources and typically don't just spout opinion so I figured you could educate me. I actually have that book I will have to go though it again along with those links. Thank you. :cheers:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought LS engines didn’t experience much if any difference in top RPM with either a good dual vs beehive but big blocks did see a difference? And although if either breaks you will most likely suffer some damage, although the inner spring on a dual isn’t enough to completely keep the valve up, you’re much less likely to suffer catastrophic damage from it dropping all the way like would happen if a beehive broke. I went with what Roger Vinci spec’d for his cams which were duals. I sent him an email asking for why he recommends duals in my application.
Edit: I think I need to buy me a book! Thanks for that, James.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought LS engines didn’t experience much if any difference in top RPM with either a good dual vs beehive but big blocks did see a difference? And although if either breaks you will most likely suffer some damage, although the inner spring on a dual isn’t enough to completely keep the valve up, you’re much less likely to suffer catastrophic damage from it dropping all the way like would happen if a beehive broke. I went with what Roger Vinci spec’d for his cams which were duals. I sent him an email asking for why he recommends duals in my application.
Edit: I think I need to buy me a book! Thanks for that, James.

Over the years we had some guys break valve springs in their 455 Buicks and in the little 231s and none suffered engine damage because that little inner spring kept the valve from kissing the piston. Come to think of it, my father stuck a valve in my sister's GN and was able to save that head and the piston was not marked either. Don't remember why anymore other than dirty oil, he never changed it, got amnesia about car maintenance around the time I turned 14 or 15.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over the years we had some guys break valve springs in their 455 Buicks and in the little 231s and none suffered engine damage because that little inner spring kept the valve from kissing the piston. Come to think of it, my father stuck a valve in my sister's GN and was able to save that head and the piston was not marked either. Don't remember why anymore other than dirty oil, he never changed it, got amnesia about car maintenance around the time I turned 14 or 15.
I heard if you shut it down fast enough it might be able to stop from hitting the piston but at least it will never fall all the way down like somebody I know of had happen. :rolleyes:

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I did my homework and I as you said the Beehives can rev a little faster while staying stable but at the cost of possibly one breaking and messing stuff up. So IMHO for these trucks which only a maniac would push passed 7k duals are the way to go.

This book really is a must have for anyone with an LS engine, The torque specs in the back make it worth its weight in gold. Nothing is worse than googling a torque spec with greasy hands.
20201004_161330.jpg 20201004_161416.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did my homework and I as you said the Beehives can rev a little faster while staying stable but at the cost of possibly one breaking and messing stuff up. So IMHO for these trucks which only a maniac would push passed 7k duals are the way to go.

This book really is a must have for anyone with an LS engine, The torque specs in the back make it worth its weight in gold. Nothing is worse than googling a torque spec with greasy hands.
View attachment 259278 View attachment 259279
I ordered that book. I will someday build an LS from the ground up.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If that’s the same book that swathdiver referenced, I ordered a copy of it this morning. Glad to also have some validation that the dual springs are the way to go for this engine. Fascinating stuff to learn - all of it. Thanks for sharing your ‘homework’.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Franny