Dealer not honoring warranty work..2018 5.3 Yukon issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can file a complaint with the BBB. Then someone from GM will contact you that can offer assistance. Even assist with dealing with your dealer.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@BlackBearPerf --just curious about this remark. True?
As mentioned above we utilize multiple methods to ensure that there is no trace of the tune on the ECM and to date, have had no warranty issues with any customer that has appropriately utilized our service. More specifics on how it works I can check and see if Justin (the tuner) minds sharing, and will update this response.

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting. I will find out exactly, RPM Motorsports are heavily invested in the GM tools for engines and transmissions as they are high performance tuning for GM vehicles. RPM Technician mentioned that AFIT was an older way of measuring it, GM now uses a new tool (name escapes me at the moment but I will find out). I am sure your point is valid about DTCs need to be thrown and none in my case. I read conspiracy theories about increased thresholds on DTCs, etc. but I hope DTCs are regulated by the EPA and not by GM, because if by GM-only we will never know what those thresholds are. There are several posts even on this forum where owner says his O2 was running rich and zero DTCs in the system.
At the bottomline, my 2018 8-month old truck hesitates and unstably idles and GM says "all within the spec and this is how it is supposed to be". As @Bob2C mentioned mounts replacement helps for 3-4 months or longer and than hesitant idle destroys mounts. In my case dealers are saying no need to replace mounts your truck is perfect.

Like I said, if you really had an injector problem there WOULD be DTCs. There are so many DTCs now for slightly off fuel trim and such that there is absolutely no way there is a problem with those injectors and you don't have a DTC. What equipment is this shop using to test the injectors? Those numbers you posted in the first page look nothing like I've ever seen from the AFIT, which is the proper tool to test these injectors. If they aren't using an AFIT with the appropriate SIDI DMU and connector adapter for 17+ (which altogether costs upwards of $5000) then those numbers are absolutely meaningless.

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, did you mean file with BBB for GM or for the dealer. I filed for the dealer, but dealer responded to BBB saying, we did everything by GM manuals, no issues found.

You can file a complaint with the BBB. Then someone from GM will contact you that can offer assistance. Even assist with dealing with your dealer.

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What everyone on GM side fails to see - why would I be spending 5+ days of PTO and $300+ of my money trying to solve the problem if my truck was perfect, the most precious asset is time. If I did not have the problem, I would not waste my time sitting at dealerships, on the phone, and driving to 4 different shops... 60+ miles one way...

This forum is fantastic as you guys give me hope that somehow I do not have to lose boatload of money in trading in...

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What everyone on GM side fails to see - why would I be spending 5+ days of PTO and $300+ of my money trying to solve the problem if my truck was perfect, the most precious asset is time. If I did not have the problem, I would not waste my time sitting at dealerships, on the phone, and driving to 4 different shops... 60+ miles one way...

This forum is fantastic as you guys give me hope that somehow I do not have to lose boatload of money in trading in...

Definitely don’t trade it in. That might sound good when frustrations run high but I would keep pressing to get more details on those “specs”. Try different paths to connect with different people at GM. PM GM Customer service here, go to their social media sites and contact service there, call GM again.

But I would also push the logic you stated above, why would you take time off work and spend all this time and money to try to fix something that isn’t there? Don’t fall back into the trap of is it within specs or not, go for the obviously something is wrong but the dealer is not capable of measuring/detecting it angel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarah_279

Reaction score
Car manufacturers want people to use the BBB because it's free. They love the BBB. However, if you hire a consumer attorney and file for a repurchase of the vehicle, and the attorney takes your case, GM has to pay for it. Things will escalate more quickly (and likely, more in your favor) when GM has to start coughing up money to get you to "go away."

If your truck is 8 months old you might still be in the window for lemon law depending on the regulations in your state. I think I read in one of your earlier posts that you've had it in 4 times for the same issue - that alone qualifies you in most instances. The details like whether your truck falls within the "parameters of spec" might not even matter once your case lands on the right person's desk.

I got a full buyback of my '18 Cadillac XT5 this summer and I was able to take the check and put it twords my Tahoe. It had tons of issues that "could not be reproduced" at the dealer (and some that could) but sometimes the non-reproduceable issues are not relevant in consumer law. It's a situation where - You're the customer and you're not happy with your brand new vehicle. Sounds too simple to be true. But in my case, the firm I used has direct contacts at GM that I would have never had access to by calling 1-800 numbers or posting on social media. I had a repurchase offer in a matter of weeks compared to back and forth negotiations for settlements with the BBB. (which is their specialty, convince you to take a few-thousand-bucks-handout and keep your faulty vehicle)

Side note - I was taking the Cadillac to a dealer 90 miles away in Cleveland to try to get satisfaction. And I did this trip to the dealer at least 9 or 10 times ... (they gave me loaners but it still sucked, luckily I was able to get half days from work. It makes you feel like you're jumping thru hoops at the GM circus) It was a massive PITA but it showed I was serious and I wasn't going to give up. The stacks of service department paperwork I had was what got me out of that car.

TL;DR - Don't trade it in and lose money. Sometimes you gotta play their game.

Lazy J

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Take to another dealer and get a second opinion. Also ask to get the regional GM rep involved.
I have a 2018 Chevy Tahoe with rough idle. Dealer says this one is normal also. Didn't know I had an engine with a racing cam that smooths out above 1500 rpms. This started after vehicle had 12000 miles. Seems to be a common problem. Definetly get Regional GM rep. involved or have GM buy it back under the lemon law.

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did talk to the lemon law attorney, I bought this car as GM company car (ironically) it was titled to GM before me for 4 months. Apparently in pro-business NC it disqualifies me from lemon law claim. I think GM and dealers know that and that is why they are not concerned. This is what Hendrick Service Manager named Rick told me laughing Impertinently to my face - we will drown you in the paperwork, go ahead complain to attorney general, BBB, GM...

I am taking it next week to Charles Boyd Chevy 70 miles away. If they are not willing to fix it, then I am afraid I am out of ideas.

If I only had Lemon Law on my side this truck would have been fixed by now. GM has a special line and contacts for Lemon Law clients and they handle them differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamThatRiver24