Just bought a 2016 Tahoe LTZ. Could use a little advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adrone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,
I purchased a 2016 Tahoe LTZ about a month ago from the dealer here north of Atlanta GA. After taking it out on the freeway the first day I noticed it has a soft spot in the hood (an area about the size of a beach ball directly in front of driver) that moves violently once it has enough air pressure from speed 70+ mph.
I also noticed it vibrates badly with it being much worse over 70mph.

I took it back to the dealer next day where they sent me to their independent body shop. Body shop said the hood is defective and not bonded to the substructure correctly that I need to tell the service writer to order a new hood under warranty. They did not check the vibration that time. Service writer tells me she will call me once they have hood that I can bring it back and solve vibration and put the hood on at the same time.

Weeks go by the same service writer calls me on 4 separate occasions saying I have a recall on my vehicle but each time it is not for my vehicle but someone elses and each time she doesnt remember my previous visit or that she is supposed to call me about the hood until I remind her.

Finally out of frustration I bring the vehicle to them and drop it off. They call me two days later and tell me that the hood problem is normal that even the general managers Tahoe does the same thing and that they will not be fixing it. They also tell me that the vibration is normal that they put a "pico" meter in the vehicle and vibration is within spec up to 70mph.

I left the vehicle unhappy....called customer service where I was assigned a "Senior Advisor" (LOL) from Chevrolet. Who doesn't even leave his last name on emails and never leaves a way to contact him back.
I pick up the vehicle and took it to a tire shop where they Road Forced balanced the tires and 2 of them came back at a 35lb and a 37lb(weight required to make round) which is terrible beyond anyones spec. They could not balance the 37lb at all and the 35 they got down to 22.
Further they showed me that the "Bridgestone Duelers" are not even standard Bridgestones. They are labeled as a Spec tire that was made specifically for Chevy. They are much cheaper built than a standard Bridgestone Dueler according to the tire people.

Later the Chevy "Senior Advisor" finally calls and tells me everything on the vehicle is in spec no repairs will be made. I asked him how he arrived at that conclusion where he told me they put the vehicle on a Road Force Balancer at the Chevy dealer and it was within spec. I doubted that due to the tire shop report. I asked him if he even knew what motor was in my Tahoe and he did not.
I told him I had no documentation to show that it had been balanced or checked. He said doesn't matter it was done. I then call the Chevy dealer where the Dealer GM promptly sends me a copy of a service order where "Mark" the senior advisor had previously sent an order stating not to remove or attempt to balance as long as the "pico" meter was within spec.
So "Mark" my senior advisor from Chevrolet lied to me and got caught in his lie. I then called back and asked to speak to anyone else above him and they told me that was not possible that I must go through him. I finally had a message sent to someone higher up but never heard anything.

I have never experienced anything like this before from a company and I have no idea what I should do about any of this other than speak to an attorney maybe? The tires I could replace I suppose but the hood I don't know.
Chevrolet obviously has a policy of passing the buck, denial, deception and whatever it takes to save a dollar. They could obviously care less about the consumer.
I paid almost 70k for this Tahoe and I bought the most expensive additional warranty as well and I guess that means nothing.
Please let me know if any of you know who I can contact within the company if there is anyone within the company who gives a crap.

Broham

Reaction score
I'm not so sure he's referring to the usual buffering/vibrations others have referred to in the past. This seems like he identified an issue, had it confirmed by a 3rd party body shop the dealer sent him to, the problem being the hood. There's absolutely no reason this shouldn't be replaced by warranty. I don't have any experience with legal action regarding a vehicle, but I would most definitely speak with an attorney and see if this is something they can help you with. I'd even go as far as getting another opinion from a different body shop and see if they too confirm it's the hood. This hopefully giving you more ammo when the battle starts up. Time is of the essence though, the longer you wait, the more they can point the finger at something else. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Parthery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure who your dealer is as there are many north of Atlanta, but I have some thoughts...

1.) A good service department makes all the difference in the world. FWIW, when it comes to GM service - I use Autonation at North Point. I've developed relationships with them over the years and they have gone above and beyond for me more then once. Ask for Tim if you go there.

2.) I suggest you find another dealership, introduce yourself to the service manager, and go for a ride. Let him see the magnitude of the hood vibration and then see what his recommendations are.

3.) Assuming you bought the truck new, it will qualify for GA's lemon law. The details on the process can be found here:

http://consumer.georgia.gov/consumer-services/lemon-law-complaint-process

4.) There are known issues with Bridgestones and vibrations on the 22s....if they can't balance them out the easiest fix may be to replace the tires with something else. Some folks have had good luck with Michelins...or Continental. It's just a matter of again - finding a dealer that will deal with it.

Good luck.

OP
OP
A

adrone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. This dealer is in Canton GA. As I said Ive never seen anything like this. This experience with the deception and lying to avoid having to spend even a small amount of money to make a vehicle right on the dealer and the Senior advisors part is beyond belief to me. I did purchase the Tahoe new from the dealer in question. I have bought over 500k in new vehicles from the salesman in 3 years(he worked at Ram previously). The salesman contacted the Manager on my behalf and their response was that they would fire him if he asked anything else or spoke to me again about this vehicle. He had to whisper next time I spoke to him as he was afraid soneone there would hear him.....
I am going to try another dealer this coming Tuesday that is in Jasper GA and see what they do but it looks like the orders not to replace or repair come from Chevrolet themselves (or they do according to the first dealer) so Im not sure if it will help. I hope you guys are right and they try to fix the Tahoe.
Either way after this experience I dont think I would ever buy a Chevy product again even if it was free. What happens if you have a major issue??
I only buy new vehicles so that I do not have to worry about repair or be involved in this kind of nightmare....Life is too short to be dragged through a bunch of nonsense by crooked people.
According to one lawyer I contacted the lemon law applies more towards failed attempts at repair rather than refusals to repair....Either way I am collecting the documentation and this will be the third time I have brought the vehicle in for the same issues on paper. I will then send the final attempt to repair letter and pursue the lemon law either way if they decide again not to do the right thing and fix the vehicle.
Theres always the idea of having a vinyl wrap made explaining my experience with the dealer and Chevy and pay one of my guys to drive around in an endless circle near the dealership....

Parthery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer doesn't want their salesperson to talk to you? Word of mouth is the best way to bring more business in.

I know now who the dealer is....I've heard from other people in the business that they have some "challenges". Try another dealer and see if you can't get it resolved. I think Day's is in Jasper...I've dealt with them in Acworth and they seem to be good people.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello adrone,

We appreciate you reporting on this situation, and bringing it to our attention. This is not what we wish to hear, as it is important to us that all our customers have a positive experience with our products and our dealerships. We would be more than happy to discuss this situation further with you. Please send us a private message with your VIN, full contact information and involved dealership.

We hope to hear from you soon,

Julianne M.
GM Customer Care

Thanks for the info. This dealer is in Canton GA. As I said Ive never seen anything like this. This experience with the deception and lying to avoid having to spend even a small amount of money to make a vehicle right on the dealer and the Senior advisors part is beyond belief to me. I did purchase the Tahoe new from the dealer in question. I have bought over 500k in new vehicles from the salesman in 3 years(he worked at Ram previously). The salesman contacted the Manager on my behalf and their response was that they would fire him if he asked anything else or spoke to me again about this vehicle. He had to whisper next time I spoke to him as he was afraid soneone there would hear him.....
I am going to try another dealer this coming Tuesday that is in Jasper GA and see what they do but it looks like the orders not to replace or repair come from Chevrolet themselves (or they do according to the first dealer) so Im not sure if it will help. I hope you guys are right and they try to fix the Tahoe.
Either way after this experience I dont think I would ever buy a Chevy product again even if it was free. What happens if you have a major issue??
I only buy new vehicles so that I do not have to worry about repair or be involved in this kind of nightmare....Life is too short to be dragged through a bunch of nonsense by crooked people.
According to one lawyer I contacted the lemon law applies more towards failed attempts at repair rather than refusals to repair....Either way I am collecting the documentation and this will be the third time I have brought the vehicle in for the same issues on paper. I will then send the final attempt to repair letter and pursue the lemon law either way if they decide again not to do the right thing and fix the vehicle.
Theres always the idea of having a vinyl wrap made explaining my experience with the dealer and Chevy and pay one of my guys to drive around in an endless circle near the dealership....

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello adrone,

We appreciate you reporting on this situation, and bringing it to our attention. This is not what we wish to hear, as it is important to us that all our customers have a positive experience with our products and our dealerships. We would be more than happy to discuss this situation further with you. Please send us a private message with your VIN, full contact information and involved dealership.

We hope to hear from you soon,

Julianne M.
GM Customer Care

Julianne / GM Customer Care,

Any information regarding the buffeting issue with these new trucks? Was it addressed for 2017? It would be nice to hear from GM regarding the ongoing vibration/buffeting issue that they keep claiming to be "normal". There's a reason these models are racking up to be one of the most "bought back" vehicles.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Julianne / GM Customer Care,

Any information regarding the buffeting issue with these new trucks? Was it addressed for 2017? It would be nice to hear from GM regarding the ongoing vibration/buffeting issue that they keep claiming to be "normal". There's a reason these models are racking up to be one of the most "bought back" vehicles.

Good Afternoon ajs800,

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing these concerns. Please be advised that our team does not have access to the necessary information, but the certified technicians at our GM Certified dealerships do. If you would like, our team could reach out to your dealership to answer any questions that you have. Please send us a private message that includes your VIN, current mileage, full contact information, and preferred dealership. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.

Philip J.
GM Customer Care

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore