Dealer not honoring warranty work..2018 5.3 Yukon issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who is the GM rep and how do I get a hold of one. I reached out to [email protected] and [email protected], they have been giving me runaround "dealer will take care of you... if there is a problem". I suspect I need a real GM rep but how do I get in touch with one? [email protected] told me they closed the case as dealer found no issues...

Get in a GM reps ear with this and let them see the documentation from the independent GM certified techs.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny you mention this, I was floating around checking if my 2015 Tahoe was covered, and I found this. And I wonder as my truck will be 5 years old, and I have to assume that once it is complete, I fall outside of my 5 year 100.00 mile coverage ? Recall # N19226050

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2014 – 2018 model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500 vehicles equipped with four-wheel drive, a 5.3-liter engine, and a 3.08-ratio rear axle, and certain 2015 – 2020 model year Chevrolet Suburban, Chevrolet Tahoe, and GMC Yukon equipped with four-wheel drive, a 5.3-liter engine, and a 3.08-ratio rear axle. If a wheel-speed sensor fails in these vehicles, a software error in the vehicle’s electronic-brake control module (EBCM) can cause the vehicle’s driveline-protection system to activate when (i) the vehicle’s electronic transfer case is set to four-wheel drive or automatic mode, and (ii) the vehicle is driven between the speeds of 41 and 60 MPH. If the driveline-protection system activates, the driver will experience unintended braking on the wheel on the opposite side of the failed sensor.
recalls are covered, once they have the software ready for the 14-18's the dealer will reprogram the ebcm, i'm waiting for them to do this for my 18 silverado, the 2019's have a fix already.

esoteric_ast

Reaction score
Im in the area and hate all the dealers. The only one I deal with is John Hiester in Lillington (30 mins south of Raleigh). https://www.lillingtonchevy.com/

John actually works at the dealership and has been there every time I have been. He doesn't turn away business from my experience.

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I have heard only good things about this dealership, this is encouraging. I might end up taking the truck there as Hendrick, Thompson are disgrace to the automotive profession. Especially Hendrick in Durham.

Im in the area and hate all the dealers. The only one I deal with is John Hiester in Lillington (30 mins south of Raleigh). https://www.lillingtonchevy.com/

John actually works at the dealership and has been there every time I have been. He doesn't turn away business from my experience.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not have the bottle test recorded but will do this weekend. However here is when I caught the dip/miss while ODB measuring RPM

That idle is really low, but normal, GM is forced to do this for emissions purposes. Get a BlackBear tune and forget about all this. The idle will be raised 50 rpms or so and the motor will stop that. Won't void your warranty and GM won't know it is there.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I understand that they "did not find" anything out of spec. Independent GM-certified mechanic measured and documented the problem in writing. I wonder if it is worth it to take it to the small court. The car does rough idle two independent GM-certified and ASE-certified mechanics documented it, but dealer is pretty much free to say "in spec" to anything and they can invent these specs since these specs are not shared anywhere...

There are no “GM-certified” independent “mechanics.” GM certified technicians work only at a dealer. A previously GM-certified technician who no longer works for a dealer and therefore is no longer GM-certified, maybe.

These trucks are direct injected and highly monitored for emissions. If there was an injector problem there WOULD be some sort of DTC set or stored. It takes very little to start setting DTCs.

My guess is that you might have an engine mount issue which is letting you feel normal engine vibrations that are normally not felt. Or there’s actually nothing wrong with it and the dealer isn’t lying to you.

EZ Money

Reaction score
I was going to mention the engine mount issue. I had that same problem on my '15 Sierra. I had it in to my dealer several times for rough idle until they found that motor mount...replaced it and it went away.
As for a GM Regional Service Rep, I wouldn't settle for "its normal" as an answer. I would continue up the flagpole until you get somewhere. Go old-school and make phone calls. Its real easy for an internet email center to say no via email, but if you can get a supervisor's supervisor on the phone, you might get somewhere.

Mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its running rich on one side my guess would be that the O2 sensor is reading something off parameters therefore dumping more fuel. Just a guess, no real experience

Ricocrancois

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 17 Yukon will have a slight rough idle when in drive at a red light. Is you rough idle still there in Park?

I used 89 or 91 and the rough idle disappeared. They just rev low.

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the mechanic worked at GM for many years as a master mechanic and now works on GM trucks and motors exclusively for performance and regular repairs, he is ASE certified and RPM Motorsports has huge respect among GM owners in the NC including Corvette owners.

Mount replacement was tried by a fellow forum member here and he was fine for 3-4 months and as vibration destroyed new mounts again all of his rough idle issues returned. I am sure he is reading my thread and might chime in.

When 1 bank is out spec on measurements I suspect it is more than injectors, it is probably leak somewhere but problem is that dealer is not trying to find the problem.

I get it, we have different goals, their job is to do minimum, my job is to get maximum to solve the problem... If 4 other trucks were rough as mine, I would have stopped but they were smooth, pleasant to experience. At the end of the day it is not 1988 Yugo or Trabant to rough idle like that. If it was designed to work like that then GM should add it to the marketing materials, special feature - "time machine, we will make you feel 1988".

There are no “GM-certified” independent “mechanics.” GM certified technicians work only at a dealer. A previously GM-certified technician who no longer works for a dealer and therefore is no longer GM-certified, maybe.

These trucks are direct injected and highly monitored for emissions. If there was an injector problem there WOULD be some sort of DTC set or stored. It takes very little to start setting DTCs.

My guess is that you might have an engine mount issue which is letting you feel normal engine vibrations that are normally not felt. Or there’s actually nothing wrong with it and the dealer isn’t lying to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.