Coolant in Oil - What Now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
862's are supposedly good, but don't count your chickens till they hatch, err....crack. I have 862's on my '04 Tahoe 5.3 and they're showing signs of being cracked. Just got an oil analysis sample results back and I have water and coolant in the engine oil. I have to add water/coolant every week. It is now causing increased bearing wear due to water in the oil. I thought I was in the clear with 862's in reading they're typically better, but that is not always the case. Now looking for a good pair of 862's or other less expensive fix for my 275k mileage Tahoe. A full rebuild is out of the budget, especially given the cost of it vs. the value of a high mileage 04 Tahoe. It's really a bummer because the rest of the Tahoe is in decent shape, other than needing a front sup & steering rebuild.

Drop in an L33, it's basically a Gen IV motor for the GMT800 Gen III trucks. 243 heads, aluminum block, 310 HP.

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
862's are supposedly good, but don't count your chickens till they hatch, err....crack. I have 862's on my '04 Tahoe 5.3 and they're showing signs of being cracked. Just got an oil analysis sample results back and I have water and coolant in the engine oil. I have to add water/coolant every week. It is now causing increased bearing wear due to water in the oil. I thought I was in the clear with 862's in reading they're typically better, but that is not always the case. Now looking for a good pair of 862's or other less expensive fix for my 275k mileage Tahoe. A full rebuild is out of the budget, especially given the cost of it vs. the value of a high mileage 04 Tahoe. It's really a bummer because the rest of the Tahoe is in decent shape, other than needing a front sup & steering rebuild.

So how do you determine if they're cracked?

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drop in an L33, it's basically a Gen IV motor for the GMT800 Gen III trucks. 243 heads, aluminum block, 310 HP.

I hadn't heard of that before but I just looked into it and it seems pretty sweet! I'm guessing they're more expensive than my L59 though?

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I like the idea, but what is the cost to find one of those given their scarcity? I'd bet the take out engine cost would be close to the value of a high mile 2004 Tahoe Z71???? According to what I read, it only was offered in 05-07 1500 Ext Cab 4wd trucks.

I would assume since it is GMT800 that the ECU and harness would be a direct drop on, but have to look at that too. Interesting little 5.3 nonetheless....

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Is that the engine that came in trucks with the VortecMax emblem?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hadn't heard of that before but I just looked into it and it seems pretty sweet! I'm guessing they're more expensive than my L59 though?

I like the idea, but what is the cost to find one of those given their scarcity? I'd bet the take out engine cost would be close to the value of a high mile 2004 Tahoe Z71???? According to what I read, it only was offered in 05-07 1500 Ext Cab 4wd trucks.

I would assume since it is GMT800 that the ECU and harness would be a direct drop on, but have to look at that too. Interesting little 5.3 nonetheless....

Just have to see what the market price is in your area. If it doesn't make sense, stick with the L59.

Is that the engine that came in trucks with the VortecMax emblem?

Vortec Max is the 6.0 LQ9. L33 is called Vortec 5300 **.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts