Coolant in Oil - What Now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easiest way--On the driver side, look all the way to the lower right(rear of the head) , you'll see a 3 digit # stamped on the head, that'll tell you what head casting you have--on the pass side that number is all the way to the right(front of the head)View attachment 205981

I haven't forgotten about this. Just been busy lately. I'll look as soon as I can.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Was just thinking... Shouldn't I have gotten an engine code or two by now?
The engine doesn't have any sensors that can measure bearing clearances, so there's nothing to throw a code. Only exception to that would be if it's worn to the point where the engine can no longer function normally - such as if the camshaft has worn out and is no longer providing enough lift, in which case you'd see misfire codes. Same goes for timing chain, low oil pressure

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The engine doesn't have any sensors that can measure bearing clearances, so there's nothing to throw a code. Only exception to that would be if it's worn to the point where the engine can no longer function normally - such as if the camshaft has worn out and is no longer providing enough lift, in which case you'd see misfire codes. Same goes for timing chain, low oil pressure

Gotcha. Wasn't sure if a knock sensor or something would throw a code.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any updates on this?

Pat in Tennessee

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any updates on this?

Pat in Tennessee

No, not yet unfortunately. I received the last part yesterday so I should be good to go when I have some free time. Hoping for this weekend. I did send the oil sample off to get analyzed last week though.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
862's are supposedly good, but don't count your chickens till they hatch, err....crack. I have 862's on my '04 Tahoe 5.3 and they're showing signs of being cracked. Just got an oil analysis sample results back and I have water and coolant in the engine oil. I have to add water/coolant every week. It is now causing increased bearing wear due to water in the oil. I thought I was in the clear with 862's in reading they're typically better, but that is not always the case. Now looking for a good pair of 862's or other less expensive fix for my 275k mileage Tahoe. A full rebuild is out of the budget, especially given the cost of it vs. the value of a high mileage 04 Tahoe. It's really a bummer because the rest of the Tahoe is in decent shape, other than needing a front sup & steering rebuild.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep