Coolant in Oil - What Now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey! We don't need that negative attitude around here!

Let's say that did happen... Would I be able to tell if that's what happened if it still makes the same knocking sound when I get it running again?

Probably, get the front up so you can crawl under with a stethoscope or extension and listen as someone starts and lets it idle for a moment. If there's a knock down there you'll know it. In all likelihood it would just affect the bearings and you could replace them plus whatever caused the leak and get that engine back in service.

Let's see what the other guys think.

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was just thinking... Shouldn't I have gotten an engine code or two by now?

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one with real knowledge has responded. My guess is that the engine is doing most of what it should and only the knock sensors are being messed with. If you're down on power it's probably that the spark is being retarded to try to stop knocking.

You're not losing compression over this yet, no large amounts of blowby affecting the O2 sensors, etc.

Just my thoughts, not real knowledge on the subject.

Pat in Tennessee

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a lot of the time when you have coolant in the oil its leaked past a piston to reach the oil, then if the coolant pools on top of the piston when you crank the engine the coolant acts like a block and thats what kills the bearing for ya.

not that super thinned watered down oil cant spin one either. if you felt the engine crank and kinda stop for a second, or stop 100% it got hydro locked. aka coolant a top the piston.

that drain pan is super full your engine only holds 5 qts, that looks to be 3 times that amount in the drain pan.

if you have a oil cooler dont forget to flush that out, its full of milk shake too. especially if you end up with a new or used engine, you dont want that mess to be introduced to the new clean set up.

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
a lot of the time when you have coolant in the oil its leaked past a piston to reach the oil, then if the coolant pools on top of the piston when you crank the engine the coolant acts like a block and thats what kills the bearing for ya.

not that super thinned watered down oil cant spin one either. if you felt the engine crank and kinda stop for a second, or stop 100% it got hydro locked. aka coolant a top the piston.

that drain pan is super full your engine only holds 5 qts, that looks to be 3 times that amount in the drain pan.

if you have a oil cooler dont forget to flush that out, its full of milk shake too. especially if you end up with a new or used engine, you dont want that mess to be introduced to the new clean set up.

It definitely cranked and started normally besides the knocking. I plugged the drain pan's reservoir so
I could easily take a picture. That's why it looks so full. I didn't think of the oil cooler. Thanks for that. Would it not flush with the rest of the oil though?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you just hook the lines up to the new engine what in the lines and cooler is now in your engine. unless you flush it all out.

if your engine is savable, it will take a at least two oil changes to clean it all up. in a row within 30 minutes type deal. fill run dump repeat. and have extra oil filters too for them oil changes.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're doing the back to back oil changes you can dump in some Marvel Mystery Oil on the first load for better cleaning.

Pat in Tennessee

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you just hook the lines up to the new engine what in the lines and cooler is now in your engine. unless you flush it all out.

if your engine is savable, it will take a at least two oil changes to clean it all up. in a row within 30 minutes type deal. fill run dump repeat. and have extra oil filters too for them oil changes.

I don't think I've mentioned it yet but I have already flushed the engine with diesel twice. New filters for each time and I'm planning on flushing with an oil change after that.

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're doing the back to back oil changes you can dump in some Marvel Mystery Oil on the first load for better cleaning.

Pat in Tennessee

I've heard of that and I'll have to look into it. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14