Coolant in Oil - What Now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Junk yard 6.0 swap time! Of course that's a gamble too.

I would love to have a larger engine! We'll see what condition this one is in first... Did they make a 5.7L for this year?

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the LS1 and LS6. Those engines were tailored for cars, vehicles 1/2 your trucks weight.

So I could hypothetically order one of those crate engines from the dealer, swap them, and I wouldn't notice any differences besides more power? Why do you say they were tailored for cars?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I could hypothetically order one of those crate engines from the dealer, swap them, and I wouldn't notice any differences besides more power? Why do you say they were tailored for cars?

Because their camshaft's rpm band is much higher than that for a truck. However, lots of people have put LS1 and LS6 camshafts in their trucks and were happy. If memory serves, the 5.3 loses about 40 ft lbs of torque down low and gains most of it back up above 4000 rpms. Lots of vids on youtube so you can judge for yourself.

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because their camshaft's rpm band is much higher than that for a truck. However, lots of people have put LS1 and LS6 camshafts in their trucks and were happy. If memory serves, the 5.3 loses about 40 ft lbs of torque down low and gains most of it back up above 4000 rpms. Lots of vids on youtube so you can judge for yourself.

I think I've heard that about the 5.3L with one of those cams as well. So are you saying it would be much better to go with a 6.0L instead of one of the 5.7L's?

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the LQ4 and LQ9 are truck engines so yes, they would be a better choice. Is the bottom end of your motor knocking?

Gotcha. I don't know for sure but it seemed like the knocking was louder coming from the wheel wells and not as loud from the engine bay with the hood open. That's what I remember anyway.

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Darn, the coolant may have gotten to the bearings and did them in.

Hey! We don't need that negative attitude around here!

Let's say that did happen... Would I be able to tell if that's what happened if it still makes the same knocking sound when I get it running again?