616 miles on the odometer and our new 2021 Tahoe LT won't start!!!! P1029 error code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m in the towing industry. Several manufacturers have gone to fully electronic shifters. Most of them either have a manual release lever hidden in the engine compartment, center console or lower dash. GM historically hasn’t been kind about providing release methods if the ignition switch isn’t activated (no key or no power)
the bypass method for the 2018 Terrain (one of GM's first) is actually right in the owner's manual, yet not in the 21 tahoe/suburban. Interesting

100cars

Reaction score
I suggest reporting this to NHTSA as a safety issue. Could be a real problem for someone in the wrong circumstances. I believe this contributes to recall investigation.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that you say it mine did the same thing for a little bit. Not super rough but not as smooth as it should be. I thought it might have been from less that 8 cylinders firing at idle due to the active fuel management? Not sure if that system kicks in at idle or only when the vehicle is in motion.

Yeah, it's not a normal idle. Makes my water bottle shake like it's going down the road. I wouldn't think there should be any shake at idle.

Some of the TSBs worry me. Especially the one where it says engine oil diluted with fuel! It does reference "running poor or stalling"? I wonder if running poor could be considered a ruff idle?

Link: https://www.carcomplaints.com/GMC/Yukon/2021/tsbs/tsb-pip5647b.shtml

yukontruckman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's not a normal idle. Makes my water bottle shake like it's going down the road. I wouldn't think there should be any shake at idle.

Some of the TSBs worry me. Especially the one where it says engine oil diluted with fuel! It does reference "running poor or stalling"? I wonder if running poor could be considered a ruff idle?

Link: https://www.carcomplaints.com/GMC/Yukon/2021/tsbs/tsb-pip5647b.shtml

The 5.3 is notorious for rough idle and this was already an issue in the previous generation. You could have your dealer check it, but unless it is throwing a code, my guess is you are going to get "operating as intended".

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WEEK TWO WITHOUT OUR TAHOE UPDATE: I emailed the dealer about another recall a Tahoe forum member posted about to see if ours was on that recall list. The dealer stated that our Tahoe was part of that recall and it would be taken care of while ours was in the shop. As far as tracking down a new fuel control module they stated no luck yet :(

JML07denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Silverado LTZ with the 6.2 and 10 speed. It’s been in for 11 recalls and one of them was the fuel pump relay and fuel management system, which all of it had to be replaced. It started it out with a rough idle then lag when I hit the gas until it just died at a light. I feel your frustration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Silverado LTZ with the 6.2 and 10 speed. It’s been in for 11 recalls and one of them was the fuel pump relay and fuel management system, which all of it had to be replaced. It started it out with a rough idle then lag when I hit the gas until it just died at a light. I feel your frustration.

I hear ya. I kinda hope we hit the magical 30 day mark. In Michigan we have a lemon law. GM has already told our advisor they will bend over backwards with lots of incentives to prevent us from GM buying it back? I am thinking a long term bumper to bumper warranty and illuminated front bow tie might keep the title in my name :) LOL

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While a lighted bow tie might feel good, I'd ask for at least a doubling of the 3/36 warranty as a minimum...Could be worth its weight in gold....

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While a lighted bow tie might feel good, I'd ask for at least a doubling of the 3/36 warranty as a minimum...Could be worth its weight in gold....
I agree. That is my first priority if we decide to keep it instead of taking advantage of our states lemon law.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just found out our 2021 loaner Tahoe has a few open recalls on it. :(