Crank but no start-please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackie

Reaction score
My 2004 Yukon with the 5.3L with 210K on the odometer died on me 2 weeks ago when I had the A/C full blast on a hot day. It started idling rough at the stop light so I pulled over and it died. It started up after an hour of multiple start attempts and seemed to drive home fine. Two days later I went to Autozone for them to test my battery and alternator. Guy had me start it with his tester connected to my battery and his tester said my starter was the problem (right after he had me start it!). While his tester was connected I told him it dies under full load so he had me turn the A/C on full blast and it died within 10 seconds. Had to have the truck towed home. Since then I've replaced the alternator and the battery to make sure it wasn't one of them. When you try to start the truck, you hear the starter crank like it should but it won't start. At first I thought it might be fuel but the weird part of it all is my gauge needles don't move at all like they do when you turn the key to "on" or "run" positions. Could it be a fuse or relay? Could it be the passlock system not allowing the start procedure to take place? I'm at a loss and hoping someone else may have had this problem in the past and has a solution?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice offered.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A couple of things to check: rent the fuel pressure gauge from the parts house and do a key on, engine off pressure test. Post results here.

Check and clean the grounds that are under the driver's door hinge, on the body mount on the frame, just behind the left front tire. One of those is for the body control module.

4x4 Left_Side_Frame_Rail_Grounds.jpg

Apart from that, get someone to diagnose it before parts are shot at it.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
OP
OP
Blackie

Blackie

Reaction score
A couple of things to check: rent the fuel pressure gauge from the parts house and do a key on, engine off pressure test. Post results here.

Check and clean the grounds that are under the driver's door hinge, on the body mount on the frame, just behind the left front tire. One of those is for the body control module.

View attachment 406006

Apart from that, get someone to diagnose it before parts are shot at it.

Thanks for the reply @Fless. I just removed those 2 wires and cleaned them real good as well as the frame they were mounted to with no luck. Something I forgot to mention in my first post is that 2 weeks before my problem, my gauges in my cluster intermittently did not work. The truck would start up fine but none of the needles, PRND, or information display would work. Sometimes they would never come on during my drive and sometimes they would randomly come to life while I was driving. All the backlights/blinker lights in the cluster would work fine though. That is one of the reasons I am leaning towards an electrical issue over a fuel issue. I will try to get over to a parts store to rent the fuel pressure gauge later today to give that a shot.

OP
OP
Blackie

Blackie

Reaction score
What @Fless said. Gotta start with basics. Spark when problem occurs? Fuel pressure when problem occurs? Cranking rhythm sound correct? Sounds like it is not handling a load and that may well be the fuel pressure.

How old is this contraption? https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=360092&cc=1425327&pt=6200&jsn=894

Thanks for the reply @OR VietVet I replaced the spark plugs and wires about 3 months ago so unless I got some bad ones they should be good. I'll have to get the fuel pressure gauge Fless mentioned to test that. The cranking rhythm sounds like it always has in the past, it just won't fire up. My older battery was only showing 13.2 volts under load so I replaced it with a new one. I can't get a load test on the new battery since the truck won't start but the battery is showing 12.6 volts with my multi meter connected directly to it.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You probably have several issues going on.

1.) The cluster may be going bad (some solder reflow fixed the odometer on my 99 Silverado, although the 99-02 and 03+ clusters are different.)

2.) May have an intermittent fuel delivery problem. The commutators on the fuel pump motors start failing and sometimes they fail to start. So please invest in a fuel pressure gauge. $35. I can't tell you how many times I've had a crank-no-fire and a quick connection with a fuel gauge shows normal pressure: it ain't the fuel pump, so keep looking. It's shocking how some DIYers change a fuel pump without even checking for pressure! Continuing on this, check relays and power at the pump if the first test fails. Wouldn't hurt to replace the fuel filter if you haven't at some point.

3.) If the truck crank but doesn't fire, it obviously can't be the starter. Sometimes starters will start sticking and the engine won't crank at all. You can beat them with a hammer while cranking to get them to turn over. But it doesn't sound like this is your case. If it were to fail to crank, then you check with a test light (another must-have, underrated tool) to ensure you have power when the key is turned to crank.

4. Air and compression you only be suspect if the previous tests are all okay.

I hope this helps.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
My 2004 Yukon with the 5.3L with 210K on the odometer died on me 2 weeks ago when I had the A/C full blast on a hot day. It started idling rough at the stop light so I pulled over and it died. It started up after an hour of multiple start attempts and seemed to drive home fine. Two days later I went to Autozone for them to test my battery and alternator. Guy had me start it with his tester connected to my battery and his tester said my starter was the problem (right after he had me start it!). While his tester was connected I told him it dies under full load so he had me turn the A/C on full blast and it died within 10 seconds. Had to have the truck towed home. Since then I've replaced the alternator and the battery to make sure it wasn't one of them. When you try to start the truck, you hear the starter crank like it should but it won't start. At first I thought it might be fuel but the weird part of it all is my gauge needles don't move at all like they do when you turn the key to "on" or "run" positions. Could it be a fuse or relay? Could it be the passlock system not allowing the start procedure to take place? I'm at a loss and hoping someone else may have had this problem in the past and has a solution?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice offered.
Any luck with your no start issue?

OP
OP
Blackie

Blackie

Reaction score
Any luck with your no start issue?
Not yet. I ran the fuel pressure test and it was on the low side at 46psi. I took it to a small repair shop and they got 49psi on their pressure test. They said that is within range to start the truck so they don't think it's a fuel issue. They found that their was no spark at the coils. I replaced the plugs and wires less than 6 months ago but I've never replaced the coils. It's at the local Chevrolet dealer so they can diagnose what's wrong. Hopefully they will have something for me next week.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not yet. I ran the fuel pressure test and it was on the low side at 46psi. I took it to a small repair shop and they got 49psi on their pressure test. They said that is within range to start the truck so they don't think it's a fuel issue. They found that their was no spark at the coils. I replaced the plugs and wires less than 6 months ago but I've never replaced the coils. It's at the local Chevrolet dealer so they can diagnose what's wrong. Hopefully they will have something for me next week.
one thing that happens to these on rare occasion is the coil and/or injector harness develops a bad ground, unless it starts and dies right away within a second then it's proably not vat's, could also maybe be a problem with the harness at the ecm/pcm such as water intrusion or corrosion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts