616 miles on the odometer and our new 2021 Tahoe LT won't start!!!! P1029 error code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was/am really worried about the reliability. The only reason why I went forward with the purchase was because the drive-train (seems) was the same. Same ol 5.3L and 10 speed transmission (With Fords help). I guess it's all the other 1000's of parts that can/will go wrong! LOL

So far that has been the case.

the 5.3 has all new fuel management - it's an advanced version of the AFM...still room for issues and the 10 speed with GM's programming is proving to be much more trouble free than Ford's version

Last edited:

ThomasKelly1952

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update----------- Went to the dealership again today to swap loaner vehicles. They gave me a brand new (7 miles on it) Silverado Z71 RST to drive until our Tahoe is repaired. The service rep stated the GM regional rep now has engineering involved in tracking down a module so hopefully it won't be to much longer. Driving a brand new pick up sure takes the sting out of not having our Tahoe. It will be a great chance to see what they are like to drive as daily drivers :) LOL

Unfortunately the new vehicle you are driving will be sold as a brand new Z71 to another customer. Sorry I am so negative. It is good to hear that they are taking care of you and not charging you a deductible every time you bring it in.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the new vehicle you are driving will be sold as a brand new Z71 to another customer. Sorry I am so negative. It is good to hear that they are taking care of you and not charging you a deductible every time you bring it in.
No it will be a dealer demo for 3000 miles or so. They keep them as loaners and demos until they get between 3000-3500 miles on them. Some of their demos are already sold. They are just waiting for the dealer to put the miles on them before they close the sale. My Dad purchases demos all the time at a dealer in downstate MI. Not as big as a savings as the PEP program years ago but a great price if you combine it with the GM employee discount. Funny you posted this because the first thing I asked when I saw 7 miles on it was " Is this going to be a demo? " :) LOL

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ONE WEEK UPDATE-------- Well today I emailed the dealer to see what was up with getting the part. They emailed my back and said nothing yet as far as the part goes. I fired back an email letting them know that in Michigan the lemon law allows buyers to file a claim for buyback from GM after 30 days total in the shop during the first year of the purchase date. The service rep forwarded my email to the GM rep and it went even further up the chain. The dealer called an hour later and put us in a 2021 Tahoe with 1000 miles on it instad of the new Z71 pickup they gave us. That Tahoe is a dealer demo that has every option as ours except buckets in the middle. Needless to say we are happy to be back in a Tahoe and will wait for ours to be repaired. The service rep also passed on some news from one of the mechanics. He had said that more and more of these fuel control module issues are starting to pop up across the USA on the 2021's so hopefully it was just a bad batch and not an engineering issue that is causing this part to fail. I have a gut feeling a recall might be in the future if this turns out to be an issue. Having your vehicle just die on you is a serious safety issue so it might be issued in the future.

GMJedi

Reaction score
I’m in the towing industry. Several manufacturers have gone to fully electronic shifters. Most of them either have a manual release lever hidden in the engine compartment, center console or lower dash. GM historically hasn’t been kind about providing release methods if the ignition switch isn’t activated (no key or no power)

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ONE WEEK UPDATE-------- Well today I emailed the dealer to see what was up with getting the part. They emailed my back and said nothing yet as far as the part goes. I fired back an email letting them know that in Michigan the lemon law allows buyers to file a claim for buyback from GM after 30 days total in the shop during the first year of the purchase date. The service rep forwarded my email to the GM rep and it went even further up the chain. The dealer called an hour later and put us in a 2021 Tahoe with 1000 miles on it instad of the new Z71 pickup they gave us. That Tahoe is a dealer demo that has every option as ours except buckets in the middle. Needless to say we are happy to be back in a Tahoe and will wait for ours to be repaired. The service rep also passed on some news from one of the mechanics. He had said that more and more of these fuel control module issues are starting to pop up across the USA on the 2021's so hopefully it was just a bad batch and not an engineering issue that is causing this part to fail. I have a gut feeling a recall might be in the future if this turns out to be an issue. Having your vehicle just die on you is a serious safety issue so it might be issued in the future.

I hope not. I have noticed that mine feels like it idles ruff, not sure that is an early warning sign or not. However, my F150 and Ram seemed to idle ruff as well.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m in the towing industry. Several manufacturers have gone to fully electronic shifters. Most of them either have a manual release lever hidden in the engine compartment, center console or lower dash. GM historically hasn’t been kind about providing release methods if the ignition switch isn’t activated (no key or no power)
Let us know when you find out where it is on a 2021 Tahoe :) LOL

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope not. I have noticed that mine feels like it idles ruff, not sure that is an early warning sign or not. However, my F150 and Ram seemed to idle ruff as well.
Now that you say it mine did the same thing for a little bit. Not super rough but not as smooth as it should be. I thought it might have been from less that 8 cylinders firing at idle due to the active fuel management? Not sure if that system kicks in at idle or only when the vehicle is in motion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcoop

Latest posts