616 miles on the odometer and our new 2021 Tahoe LT won't start!!!! P1029 error code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well tonight I went to start our vehicle and it cranked for 10 seconds and stopped. I tried it again and it fired up after 7 or so seconds, ran like the timing was off and quit. Onstar found this on the online scan: ----------------------------------------The Engine and Transmission System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Fuel Management System used to maintain, control and monitor fuel consumption.---------------------- P1029 is the error code.

Needless to say it will be getting towed to a Chevy dealership Monday. I am not a happy camper but thank God it happened in our garage and not out on the road somewhere.
I will update this thread once I find some answers from the dealership.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea how to get a 2021 into neutral without the engine running? It won't shift into neutral via the shifter or via the transfer case unless the vehicle is running. Kinda tough right now since the vehicle will not start. Not looking forward to seeing my $65,000 vehicle getting dragged up a flatbed. I can't find any info in the manual for a shift override button or lever. This flat out SUCKS!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Press and hold the start button for more than 5 secs without touching brake pedal then shift trans or transfer case as usual
I tried that. The regular shifter won't move out of park and the transfer case will switch and complete its shift to everything but N and 4wd low. N flashes on the DIC but then returns to 2WD H.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hold it longer
I got the vehicle to go into service mode but when you try to switch out of park you get this message on the DIC " Conditions not right for shift" As for the transfer case it will move in and out of auto, 2wd and 4wd with no problem. When I try N all it does is flash for 5 seconds and return the DIC picture to 2wd. Kind of scary know this vehicle can't be put into neutral without the engine running. Kinda missing the old fashion shift lever now :(

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE---------- Well after cranking the Tahoe for many attempts along with having it run a few times for ten seconds or so last night I put the vehicle on a charger and went to bed. Later this afternoon while attempting to get the vehicle in neutral I attempted to start it again. It fired up and seemed to run ok. I quickly backed the vehicle out of the garage and positioned it for the tow truck. I put a scanner on it and it is still throwing the P1029 code. Tomorrow morning I will attempt to get it to the GM dealer for service right when they open. Hopefully it makes it there on it's own power.-------------------------- Anyone know what the hell a P1029 code is? I looked online on many truck and GM forums and no history of that code for a GM vehicle that I could read about. I know it means other things for other car makers but wondering what it means on a GM product.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the vehicle to go into service mode but when you try to switch out of park you get this message on the DIC " Conditions not right for shift" As for the transfer case it will move in and out of auto, 2wd and 4wd with no problem. When I try N all it does is flash for 5 seconds and return the DIC picture to 2wd. Kind of scary know this vehicle can't be put into neutral without the engine running. Kinda missing the old fashion shift lever now :(
Ya I read everything in the manual related to starting last night. Just curious can anyone shift out of park or put their transfer case in N with the engine off? I tried it in normal and service mode with no luck.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya I read everything in the manual related to starting last night. Just curious can anyone shift out of park or put their transfer case in N with the engine off? I tried it in normal and service mode with no luck.
Not sure for newer years but there are certain steps for neutral so you can’t accidentally switch to it while driving.