2022 Tahoe w- 7950 miles dead in the road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PNW-FL Wanderer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, first time poster, long time Tahoe owner. This particular vehicle will be our family's 4th such vehicle in the past 15 or so years. Big fans.

This morning on the way to work, my 2022 Tahoe with a little under 8k miles (5.3 L V8), died at a stop light and never came on again. When I pressed the ignition button, the car sounded like it was turning over fine, but the engine did not ignite. That sound will live with me forever! It would keep instructing me to "press start button" and then the dreaded "conditions not correct for shift" message. After pondering what life might be like in the middle of a busy South Florida street blocking morning traffic for the foreseeable future, I spent several other futile attempts to start the car, resulting in a lovely text message from MyChevrolet that I should "Service My transmission". Well, at least that part worked! I also was able to get the car itself to tell me that the transmission, along with the ESC, the brakes, and just about every other system was in failure. Good Stuff! For anyone who is curious, first oil change was done at 5k miles at the dealership so no concerns there. And also never a single advanced sign of the car being in anything other than terrific shape. Well, until this morning :)

So after being towed to the local dealership (2 hrs for the tow OUCH!), and asking point blank whether anyone in the Service department had ever seen or experienced anything like that, I saw the longest group of blank stares I have ever seen in my life. You would have thought I asked everyone who they voted for. And mind you this is all covered by warranty. So, its not like they are staring down a guy who needs to buy a new transmission!

Well, the other strange thing about this situation is that the INTERNET has not provided with me with a SINGLE other story like this one. And having driven the same vehicle for close to two decades, I am feeling absolutely emotionally crushed at even the THOUGHT that my new Tahoe could even have the possible tinge of anything other than pure American craftsmanship and beauty.

So, any chance anyone here has had a similar experience? Second thing, would anyone think twice about driving that car again after it gets fixed? Thank you in advance for your time and consideration, much appreciated.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@R32driver had this happen to his 5.3L as well. I believe it was the fuel pump or the control module for it.
Mine did have the fuel pump control module replaced but that was the only code that popped up. It started stumbling like it was out of gas as I was accelerating when the road changed from 35 to 50 so I pulled over and it died. Tried the start button and it cranked but no start. Sat there for about 5 minutes and tried again and it started after 6 or 7 seconds of cranking and the check engine light was on but no other lights or messages. I was able to drive it to the dealership that was very close to where it died and after they replaced the fuel pump control module it's been good to go. Took them a week to get time to diagnose it but once they did they had the part replaced in a day or 2 and we were back on the road.

Hopefully your issue works out as well as ours did, I was really bummed for the week it was down at the dealer but all is well now.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
That sound will live with me forever! It would keep instructing me to "press start button" and then the dreaded "conditions not correct for shift" message. After pondering what life might be like in the middle of a busy South Florida street blocking morning traffic for the foreseeable future.
I have been on your shoes before and it's very upsetting. Specially after spending so much on these suvs.

Resulting in a lovely text message from MyChevrolet that I should "Service My transmission". Well, at least that part worked! I also was able to get the car itself to tell me that the transmission, along with the ESC, the brakes, and just about every other system was in failure.
A warning before hand would have been great before it left you stranded.
So after being towed to the local dealership (2 hrs for the tow OUCH!), and asking point blank whether anyone in the Service department had ever seen or experienced anything like that, I saw the longest group of blank stares I have ever seen in my life. You would have thought I asked everyone who they voted for. And mind you this is all covered by warranty. So, its not like they are staring down a guy who needs to buy a new transmission!
Did they even bother to pay for the tow? That Service department sucks, next time take your suv to a GMC or Cadillac dealership, those guys will treat you like a friend not like some total stranger. Anyways welcome to the forum. The link below can help you get an idea of the issues that this new generation tahoe has been having.

OP
OP
P

PNW-FL Wanderer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For those interested in an update, as of 2:00PM this afternoon, 4 full days since my dead truck arrived on a flat bed, I have yet to hear so much as a peep from the dealership. No phone call, no text, no email, no smoke signals. Absolutely zero contact.

Let me also share, that I have decided NOT to badger or “follow up” with them, because once 15 days rolls around, I have the pleasure of putting the manufacturer on notice of their being a possible lemon. And since I am on the fence about whether I want to re-play the “disabled car in the middle of South Florida traffic lottery”, I feel like the longer they take, the more days I have ticked off the “lemon clock”.

That being said, it feels prudent to reach out to the group and see if anyone thinks this is a bad/miscalculated approach. Clearly the dealership is a stinker, but since the car is inoperable, and I am not in the mood to get it towed somewhere else, feels like leaving it is the best option.

For those curious about FL lemon law, after 15 days at the dealership, you send an overnight signature required letter to the manufacturer and then they have 15 days to direct you to a repair facility of their choice for repairs to be completed. The lemon statute has no language to the effect of “and the consumer was in constant contact with the dealer to ascertain the status of their repair and remind them of their clock”.

Just 15 days in the shop, then notice to the manufacturer, and then 15 more days to get it fixed. 30 total. And then you have a lemon.

Last little tidbit, I do not have to wonder whether they are working on it. I got a notification from on-star Thursday afternoon that the anti lock brake system was having issues, and to schedule service. Can’t imagine that notification would come on if the truck was not being worked on, considering I left it dead as a door-nail.

Discovering the board has been amazing, someone’s old post made me realize that aside from the engine issues (or whatever it may be), my windshield wiper fluid pump is broken. We thought they forgot to top it off at the first oil change, but since we have no low fluid warning and nothing was coming out, if and when the dealer calls, we will make sure to get that fixed too. Would have never thought of that without posts from @Ingeinge and @B520044 about their issues.

Thank you all again for your comments and insights, hope to share better news here soon.

martinajm

Reaction score
That being said, it feels prudent to reach out to the group and see if anyone thinks this is a bad/miscalculated approach. Clearly the dealership is a stinker, but since the car is inoperable, and I am not in the mood to get it towed somewhere else, feels like leaving it is the best option.
You asked, so here you go... I would call it a bad approach, but not miscalculated. You clearly have been calculating for 4 days. I think that your approach on this entire issue is wrong. You come across as someone looking for a problem not a solution. I get that it is frustrating to get stranded, but my guess is that your negativity is very apparent to the dealership and they are therefore not going to jump through hoops to appease you. I am not suggesting that it is right that their perception of you should affect the way that they operate, but it is often times reality. Nothing personal and I wish you the best of luck with this or whatever vehicle you end up with.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the humor in your story, nice touch!

If you're not sure about keeping the vehicle, then the lemon laws may work in your favor. It's hard to judge from afar, so I am going off what was stated and I feel that I would be as let down as you. 8k miles on a 70k truck that left you as the cue ball in the middle of a crazy FL intersection would completely grind all the teeth off my gears....

I'm so glad I don't have the desire to run out and buy something new based on all the issues that seem to pop up with this new generation and COVID timeline BS.

Wwes

Reaction score
Well, the other strange thing about this situation is that the INTERNET has not provided with me with a SINGLE other story like this one. And having driven the same vehicle for close to two decades, I am feeling absolutely emotionally crushed at even the THOUGHT that my new Tahoe could even have the possible tinge of anything other than pure American craftsmanship and beauty.
Everything constructed is a machine and liable to have an occasional fault. I've been buying new GM cars for almost 20 years and have yet to have a single issue.

Given this is your only fault in nearly 15 years and 4 similar vehicles of ownership, I'd suggest you come at this from a different attitude. Let the dealer fix it correctly in due time, and I Hope it gives you many years of uninterrupted service. Trying to create an adversarial relationship with the dealership will not work in your favor, and may sour you on what is an otherwise fine vehicle.

I too get emotional at times about my vehicles, and in my experience, seeing a GM badge, Chevy bowtie, red GMC on the grille tells me I am owning/driving/making memories in a quality engineered and built product with friends and family that I love (whom feel the same); occasional faults aside - the Good way outweighs the bad.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sell it. If you don't like the vehicle nothing will make you like it. Any vehicle has issues. You have to enjoy it enough to deal with them. If you don't even the smallest issue will push you over the edge.

Like the people with the older platforms here. They like them enough to deal with all the shortcomings and issues they have. New platform different issues but same train of thought.

Wish you luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kentf3