616 miles on the odometer and our new 2021 Tahoe LT won't start!!!! P1029 error code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pg 238
Trans in neutral
press 2hi 5x within 10 secs.
Make sure parking brake is on and set tightly, even on level ground and in park it will roll ifvyransfer case is in neutral.

btw I’d disconnect battery for 15 and Let everthing reset. Check your intake and make sure filter and cover are tight and secure for you p1029 cide

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the hell a P1029 code is? I looked online on many truck and GM forums and no history of that code for a GM vehicle that I could read about. I know it means other things for other car makers but wondering what it means on a GM product.

My Innova DTC app shows this for that code.
671034BA-C16B-4527-96FF-CB10467D9002.jpeg

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE------------------------ I have been going outside every few hours to fire up the Tahoe to see if I can get it to replicate what happened last night. Every time it has fired up with no issues and this last time I noticed the steady check engine light is now off. I have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow morning to see what they can figure out. Still wondering what P1029 is. I also noticed that during this issue I never heard the normal sounds of the rear fuel pump precharge when approaching the vehicle with the fob or unlocking the door. Only a relay or solenoid click type noise under the hood. Weird stuff and I hope they can find an answer of what happened and how to prevent it from happening again. The vehicle flat out acted like it was not getting fuel. The battery power and cranking speed were normal. I will post up with answers once the dealer checks it out.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pg 238
Trans in neutral
press 2hi 5x within 10 secs.
Make sure parking brake is on and set tightly, even on level ground and in park it will roll ifvyransfer case is in neutral.

btw I’d disconnect battery for 15 and Let everthing reset. Check your intake and make sure filter and cover are tight and secure for you p1029 cide
I did everything you wrote last night with the transfer case and no luck. It would flash the N in the DIC then return to 2h with no success. I did not want to clear the code or reset anything with disconnecting the battery since the vehicle is new and under warranty. The engine light is off now and everything seems to be running normal. I will take the print out from onstar with the P1029 details. Hopefully they can get me some answers on what the hell happened to a new vehicle with 600 miles on it.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and now that you have messed with it enough it cleared the problem on its own and the dealership wont be able to do anything because they cant replicate the issue. well thats a possibility now atleast. if you have a serious problem its best to leave it alone so the garage can see exactly what the vehicle was doing.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and now that you have messed with it enough it cleared the problem on its own and the dealership wont be able to do anything because they cant replicate the issue. well thats a possibility now atleast. if you have a serious problem its best to leave it alone so the garage can see exactly what the vehicle was doing.
No worries. I have the code, the emails and texts from Onstar and I will be able to fill them in on everything that happened and what sounds were present and missing. Fuel was not making it to the engine. Just have to figure out why that rear fuel pump decided to take 14 hours off :) LOL

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries. I have the code, the emails and texts from Onstar and I will be able to fill them in on everything that happened and what sounds were present and missing. Fuel was not making it to the engine. Just have to figure out why that rear fuel pump decided to take 14 hours off :) LOL
yup and without the problem actually present now it could be ecm related wiring related or pump related or fuel pressure regulator related. since the problems not present you could get the truck right back since most mechanics now rely entirely thier scanner and a computer to tell them what to fix. if your problem isnt a known problem where they already know where to look they won't fix anything if they cant actually find anything.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be amiss, but most serious codes are stored internally, even if you "Clear" them, and can only be cleared by a dealer. That way there is an ingrained record of what happened even if it "fixes" itself....

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be amiss, but most serious codes are stored internally, even if you "Clear" them, and can only be cleared by a dealer. That way there is an ingrained record of what happened even if it "fixes" itself....
the record will only say what the code was not exactly where the problem was as cel codes dont really do that. if the shop cant find what the problem was because it no longer exists you will get your vehicle back with no repairs done and be told to bring it back when the problem comes back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz