616 miles on the odometer and our new 2021 Tahoe LT won't start!!!! P1029 error code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE------------- Well today I took it to the dealer. They stated that the fuel pump assembly is going to be replaced. The bad news is they do not stock that pump so I am crossing my fingers for a speedy delivery of a fuel pump assembly. On top of that I was also informed that the 2021 Tahoes have a recall on them already. The oil cooler lines need to be inspected and replaced if need be. I was given a Chevy Traverse as a loaner so as soon as the Tahoe is fixed I will update if I get more information out of them.

Toasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE------------- Well today I took it to the dealer. They stated that the fuel pump assembly is going to be replaced. The bad news is they do not stock that pump so I am crossing my fingers for a speedy delivery of a fuel pump assembly. On top of that I was also informed that the 2021 Tahoes have a recall on them already. The oil cooler lines need to be inspected and replaced if need be. I was given a Chevy Traverse as a loaner so as soon as the Tahoe is fixed I will update if I get more information out of them.

Yep. The oil cooler line recall has been out for some time. The oil cooler lines weren't being routed quite right on early builds. Depending on when yours was sold, surprised it wasn't handled before delivery.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. The oil cooler line recall has been out for some time. The oil cooler lines weren't being routed quite right on early builds. Depending on when yours was sold, surprised it wasn't handled before delivery.
It might have been. Hopefully mine is just one of the investigations instead of a full blown reroute. I do know once she ran the Vin number it stated there was still an open recall on the vehicle. My vehicle was in the 8000 range as far as order off the line.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope you get everything worked out as painlessly as possible from here on. And that you don't have any further issues. I know I'd be beyond upset if I was going through this with such an expensive and brand new vehicle.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope you get everything worked out as painlessly as possible from here on. And that you don't have any further issues. I know I'd be beyond upset if I was going through this with such an expensive and brand new vehicle.
Thank you and no big deal. They will get it right. Minor issue compared to by brand new GMC Terrain back in 2010. It left the factory with a failed high pressure fuel pump seal. Every time the engine was shut off a few drops of fuel would drip into the crankcase. Over a 3000 mile span a few quarts got in there and sheared down the oil during the very important break in period. The upper part of the engine was ok due to the rings but the main bearings must have taken a beating. The best I could ever get MPG wise on the highway with that I4 engine was 20mpg. It was supposed to get 30. GMC would not replace the engine and I bailed on GM for the past decade. Hopefully they will stand behind their products this go around.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you and no big deal. They will get it right. Minor issue compared to by brand new GMC Terrain back in 2010. It left the factory with a failed high pressure fuel pump seal. Every time the engine was shut off a few drops of fuel would drip into the crankcase. Over a 3000 mile span a few quarts got in there and sheared down the oil during the very important break in period. The upper part of the engine was ok due to the rings but the main bearings must have taken a beating. The best I could ever get MPG wise on the highway with that I4 engine was 20mpg. It was supposed to get 30. GMC would not replace the engine and I bailed on GM for the past decade. Hopefully they will stand behind their products this go around.
To be honest, I get more and more doubtful about manufacturing quality (the sea I swim in) in almost any area as time goes by and we venture on toward the future. Labor issues, cost cutting, lack of proper training/protocols, etc. It's getting worse as people dig deeper for profit.

Hrocks

Reaction score
Sounds like the typical GM first model year blues. I had them a couple of times, most notably an Escalade when they changed to the GMT900 series in 2007. GM and Cadillac were not helpful at all. If not for the intervention of a buddy of mine that owned a Chevy dealership, I would have been screwed. As much as I'm jonsing for a C8 Corvette, there's no way on the planet I would buy a first model year from GM.

Toasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might have been. Hopefully mine is just one of the investigations instead of a full blown reroute. I do know once she ran the Vin number it stated there was still an open recall on the vehicle. My vehicle was in the 8000 range as far as order off the line.

Hrmm. I think it was actually a TSB for the dealer on dealer inventory rather than a full blown recall - depending on when yours was produced and sold, it might not actually have applied. (it was issued in July)\ https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/0...The bulletin was issued last,2021 Chevy Tahoe

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On our 900s the transmission has to be in neutral and the parking brake applied or our foot on the brake before we can set the transfer to neutral. Well, have the dealer demonstrate it to you both with the motor on and off and let us know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518