6.2l DOD Delete parts list

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

Enoob

Reaction score
Boy I'd be fuming if I put that thing in my truck and it runs slower! That's a 6.0 camshaft, not the L9H. By deleting AFM, you are basically converting your truck to an L9H, so those knuckleheads ought to give you that camshaft. You don't have to change anything.
Ok, well I sure as heck don't want slower. You've got me convinced I do not want to use the cam I noted and not excited about the L9H. TS did not seem very helpful when I was asking about what I needed. Maybe they don't want to sell things.....
Agreed. And @Enoob, I believe you’re going to need a tune to get it running without the AFM system physically in place. You might as well get a cam that can give you a power bump. But, if you’re really after the stock profile, you can use a standard factory L92 cam. It’s designed specifically for the 6.2.

So if I go with something other than stock, am I in need of replacing springs, etc., or what cam could I go with that does not require those modifications? I guess at this point, I still have time to do those mods, but just need to know what matches up. Looks like the Melling cams list what I am looking for as a class/stage 1? As I noted, I do some towing, so that would be the mod that I would be most interested in. And also likely doing your Derale cooler mod when I can get to it. Read through the 50+ pages on here about that.....thank you both.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and not excited about the L9H.

Why not? Gwatney also makes a camshaft or two that retain VVT. Someone on here has one and I contacted a guy in the comments section on Gwatney's website and he loves it and has been driving it for several years now with no issues. Lifts over .510 require new springs. The L9H camshaft does not.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, well I sure as heck don't want slower. You've got me convinced I do not want to use the cam I noted and not excited about the L9H. TS did not seem very helpful when I was asking about what I needed. Maybe they don't want to sell things.....

So if I go with something other than stock, am I in need of replacing springs, etc., or what cam could I go with that does not require those modifications? I guess at this point, I still have time to do those mods, but just need to know what matches up. Looks like the Melling cams list what I am looking for as a class/stage 1? As I noted, I do some towing, so that would be the mod that I would be most interested in. And also likely doing your Derale cooler mod when I can get to it. Read through the 50+ pages on here about that.....thank you both.
Replacing the valve springs on an engine with 180K is a good idea anyway. Lots of guys on here have suffered broken valve springs on the 6.2, so I consider it normal maintenance. I really like the Brian Tooley beehive valve springs for these. They can handle more lift than stock springs can (up to .560) and everything I've read from people who have them has been positive. I have about 20K on mine now and they've been great.

You can also give Cam Motion a call and give them your priorities: Truck cam, Durability, drivability (smooth idle), retain VVT, less than .560 lift. and see what they can offer you. They are great consultants and they grind many of the cams for Brian Tooley and others. They can literally do anything you want but they will give you a couple of recommendations. If you do that, you can post the specs here and we will give you feedback on the pros/cons of each and what to expect.

OP
OP
E

Enoob

Reaction score
Why not? Gwatney also makes a camshaft or two that retain VVT. Someone on here has one and I contacted a guy in the comments section on Gwatney's website and he loves it and has been driving it for several years now with no issues. Lifts over .510 require new springs. The L9H camshaft does not.
Thank you. Spoke with them and they were helpful. Looking into that one now and yes, he said to do springs. Will post what I end up with.
Replacing the valve springs on an engine with 180K is a good idea anyway. Lots of guys on here have suffered broken valve springs on the 6.2, so I consider it normal maintenance. I really like the Brian Tooley beehive valve springs for these. They can handle more lift than stock springs can (up to .560) and everything I've read from people who have them has been positive. I have about 20K on mine now and they've been great.

You can also give Cam Motion a call and give them your priorities: Truck cam, Durability, drivability (smooth idle), retain VVT, less than .560 lift. and see what they can offer you. They are great consultants and they grind many of the cams for Brian Tooley and others. They can literally do anything you want but they will give you a couple of recommendations. If you do that, you can post the specs here and we will give you feedback on the pros/cons of each and what to expect.
Checked with Cam Motion and they told me they do not offer a cam that retains VVT any longer. Still checking options and will report back. Thanks.

OP
OP
E

Enoob

Reaction score
Looks like I am going with the Gwatney L92 (to retain VVT) specs at 212/226 and .547 lift. Had to match up springs from BT beehive springs (up to .560 lift) as Gwatney was out.

Should I plug the pressure relief valve in the oil pan or replace it? If plugging, what is best?

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the relief valve shield/deflector, gm#12639759-$8,
on when I was in the pan doing the pickup o-ring.relief valve shield.jpgrelief valve w-shield.jpg

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I am going with the Gwatney L92 (to retain VVT) specs at 212/226 and .547 lift. Had to match up springs from BT beehive springs (up to .560 lift) as Gwatney was out.

Should I plug the pressure relief valve in the oil pan or replace it? If plugging, what is best?
Please report back when you get the work all done. I used the VVT truck stage 1 cam from
gwatney as well... My base idle is pretty rough... i didn't really think a cam this small would
"sound" lumpy at all.. Maybe I did something wrong, so I'm curious about others' experiences with it

OP
OP
E

Enoob

Reaction score
Please report back when you get the work all done. I used the VVT truck stage 1 cam from
gwatney as well... My base idle is pretty rough... i didn't really think a cam this small would
"sound" lumpy at all.. Maybe I did something wrong, so I'm curious about others' experiences with it
Will do. Cam just arrived but I cannot get to it til next week. Looks like I have the same grind that you do. Springs are at the shop as the heads are being done.

I plan to do the Derale cooler as well. Did you mount under the front bumper and are you good with it?

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do. Cam just arrived but I cannot get to it til next week. Looks like I have the same grind that you do. Springs are at the shop as the heads are being done.

I plan to do the Derale cooler as well. Did you mount under the front bumper and are you good with it?
I did mount the derale cooler behind the bumper with the fan .. I just use a toggle switch
that I put at the center console to turn it on .. I really only need it when towing.. And
since i pulled the supercharger everything runs a little cooler anyway

OP
OP
E

Enoob

Reaction score
Is this looking like it should? Have cylinder 1 at TDC at this point. There is a little bit of slack in the chain.

Attachments

• 20220811_183841.jpg
    20220811_183841.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 14

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd