OK to upgrade Bose speakers???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kerlyb

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade all the Bose dash and door speakers in my 2023 Tahoe HC for improved sound. Don't want to spend time n money on a full custom system or even adding sub box. Looking for cleaner highs and just a little more bass. Is Bose is still using 2 ohm speakers??? If yes, will the aftermarket 4 ohm speakers still be an improvement?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, Bose still uses speakers with lower impedance than most aftermarket speakers. As such, a standard aftermarket speaker will be an impedance mismatch with the Bose amp, won't draw as much power from the Bose amp, and this will most likely result in the deterioration of sound quality.

There are speakers out there that are specifically 2 Ohm impedance, and they would be a better match for the Bose amp. Go to Crutchfield.com and see what they have for 2 Ohm impedance speakers.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya, if you are not doing a full upgrade then you are pretty much wasting your money, the best easiest thing to do is a add a sub, and perhaps disable the ANC if you have that feature, that brightens it up a little.

K5-Z71

Reaction score
Adding another opinion to this, I recently spent $250 on Crutchfield to replace all the speakers with coaxial 3 ohm speakers and believe they sound much better on the top end. Mids are still muddled, not much if anything added to the bottom and everything still falls apart at higher volumes but doing this and adding a modified esky sub box has brought my 9 speaker Bose system to an acceptable level. Swapping all the door and corner speakers took about 2 hrs.

3 ohm speakers on a 2 ohm amp may reduce sound quality but in comparison to the already lackluster Bose amplifier / speaker combination it will still be an upgrade. This has been discussed and experimented on in many other platforms with the general consensus being its worthwhile as a minor upgrade and can still be driven by an aftermarket 4 ohm amp in the future.

Audio quality is highly subjective and objectively never vary good in a vehicle anyways so I just went for it and am happy... for now.

OP
OP
K

kerlyb

Reaction score
Adding another opinion to this, I recently spent $250 on Crutchfield to replace all the speakers with coaxial 3 ohm speakers and believe they sound much better on the top end. Mids are still muddled, not much if anything added to the bottom and everything still falls apart at higher volumes but doing this and adding a modified esky sub box has brought my 9 speaker Bose system to an acceptable level. Swapping all the door and corner speakers took about 2 hrs.

3 ohm speakers on a 2 ohm amp may reduce sound quality but in comparison to the already lackluster Bose amplifier / speaker combination it will still be an upgrade. This has been discussed and experimented on in many other platforms with the general consensus being its worthwhile as a minor upgrade and can still be driven by an aftermarket 4 ohm amp in the future.

Audio quality is highly subjective and objectively never vary good in a vehicle anyways so I just went for it and am happy... for now.
Which 3 ohm speakers did you install??? Did the front and rear door speakers require speaker adaptor kits??? Any plans to upgrade to dash corner speakers???

K5-Z71

Reaction score
Go to the Crutchfield vehicle selector and put in your truck. I don’t know if they have anything on the HC. If not you can put in the standard model to help select speakers in each position.

When ordering from Crutchfield this way they will add in the proper wiring, speaker adapters and detailed installation instructions for free! Plenty of open box discount available too.

$20 discount referral link below with the speakers I used

Infinity Reference REF607F​
Infinity Reference REF697MF
Pioneer TS-A70​

The base Bose equalizer is a bit sharp after replacing the paper cones so I’m running the at Bass 0, Mid -3, High -2.

After changing the speakers the turn signals even sounds better with a hint of a metallic click coming through rather than the knocking sound from before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Demetris