Transmission Cooling Line Repair?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm guessing GM installs them before the body is mounted and laughs on the way out to lunch.

Just like that hanger bolt on the driver side leaf spring of the trucks. It's in place before the fuel tank is installed. The frame side shackle bolt is the same- in place before the bed is bolted down and the pinch weld blocks it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
haha, was going to say now watch me never work on them again.
On a tool like that, I have a friend/shop owner that has those tools and I can borrow if needed. It IS nice to be able to open the tool box and see you have it covered though.....IF.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a tool to release the spring tension without removing the clip. Once tension is released the line just pulls out. New line just push in and it'll snap securely.

I have the Lisle low profile one. Just slip over line, push towards fitting and twist.

Lisle 22930 3/8" Low Profile Disconnect https://a.co/d/1VsUezR
I have seen mixed reviews on those tools. Some say they fail and others swear by them.
The cost would make it an on the fence decision for a one time repair.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was a teenager with my first vehicle, a 1995 Jeep Cherokee, I did the same thing, cut off the crimped fittings from both ends of the transmission oil cooler lines and slid on new rubber fuel line, double clamping both ends with a worm drive clamp. Never had any issues, however the best way would be to create a double flare on the ends of the metal lines to help the rubber hoses from sliding off in addition to the clamps.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When I was a teenager with my first vehicle, a 1995 Jeep Cherokee, I did the same thing, cut off the crimped fittings from both ends of the transmission oil cooler lines and slid on new rubber fuel line, double clamping both ends with a worm drive clamp. Never had any issues, however the best way would be to create a double flare on the ends of the metal lines to help the rubber hoses from sliding off in addition to the clamps.
If you gotta use rubber hose on the metal lines, at least use band clamps and at least double or triple them at each connection. Also, make sure you use oil hose and not coolant hose.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll close this out by saying that our Tahoe was in the shop for another issue and I mentioned the trans line leak and implied at cutting in a patch because I'd seen the difficult access at the transmission end.

When I picked the truck up they had replaced the line and the total charge was only $55.
They said they do them all the time and that it is no big deal. I was more than happy with the charge and happy to have it done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar