Cooling system torques

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeZ78

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good morning everyone, my 2016 Tahoe just got the dreaded temp gauge stuck at 160 and cooling fans staying on. I am able to clear the pending code (P0128) and everything goes back to normal. It will do it again a few days later. I read a lot of posts saying that it is usually a bad ECT sensor that causes this, but also could be the thermostat. Engine temp seems a little on the cold side when driving (185), but outside temp has been around 50. I am going to replace the ECT sensor and thermostat just to be safe. Can someone please tell me the torque specs for the ECT sensor and the three 10mm bolts on the thermostat housing. I don't want to overtighten them and crack the aluminum intake.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good morning everyone, my 2016 Tahoe just got the dreaded temp gauge stuck at 160 and cooling fans staying on. I am able to clear the pending code (P0128) and everything goes back to normal. It will do it again a few days later. I read a lot of posts saying that it is usually a bad ECT sensor that causes this, but also could be the thermostat. Engine temp seems a little on the cold side when driving (185), but outside temp has been around 50. I am going to replace the ECT sensor and thermostat just to be safe. Can someone please tell me the torque specs for the ECT sensor and the three 10mm bolts on the thermostat housing. I don't want to overtighten them and crack the aluminum intake.
Start with the sensor only - 99.9% that that's your problem (classic symptoms), 12 ft. lbs. Thermostat housing is 11 ft. lbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019