Transmission Cooling Line Repair?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
His trans is a 700R4, which is essentially the same as the 4L60E, at least, in this case. It sure looks like mine. Your '08 should be like mine. Or is yours a 4WD and that makes it more complicated?
4 WD.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Broke everything loose with 1/2" line wrench. Then used a short open end to remove. Started all fittings by hand and finished running them down with open end and tightened down with the line wrench. Went well. Radiator area was plenty of room. At the transmission was tight with lots of wrench flipping.
Pretty sure I have Jiffy-tite connections; Have to get in there to pull the locking clips.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Mine was tight but I just used a short 1/2" line wrench and a stubby 1/2" combination wrench. Your lines may be 13 mm. Just have to hold your tongue just right. I have much bigger hands than an 8 year old.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure I have Jiffy-tite connections; Have to get in there to pull the locking clips.

I use a shop rag. Put the edge of the rag (the sewn seam) around the fitting so that the edge seam will catch the points of the clip. Pull it kinda tight with the ends of the rag wrapping the fitting and pull each loose end while rotating and keeping it tight. The rag will snag on the outward splayed ends of the clip and pull it off while being contained in the rag instead of flying off into oblivion.

This same trick works for manual window cranks instead of damaging the door panel all around the crank handle while you try to dig your screwdriver or pick behind it.

Reaction score
There's a tool to release the spring tension without removing the clip. Once tension is released the line just pulls out. New line just push in and it'll snap securely.

I have the Lisle low profile one. Just slip over line, push towards fitting and twist.

Lisle 22930 3/8" Low Profile Disconnect https://a.co/d/1VsUezR

Last edited:

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the lines on my 08 Yukon in the driveway and not gonna lie , it really sucked but it is doable. My lines were stuck in the transmission so the quick release tool's didn't work and I had to pull out the clips with a pick. Putting the clips back in was fun as well. I have big hands and was able to get it done with a mirror and a lot of spilled knuckle blood. My 10 Burb was much easier with the lines bolting up to the side of the trans.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a tool to release the spring tension without removing the clip. Once tension is released the line just pulls out. New line just push in and it'll snap securely.

I have the Lisle low profile one. Just slip over line, push towards fitting and twist.

Lisle 22930 3/8" Low Profile Disconnect https://a.co/d/1VsUezR

I had no idea tool existed. the amount of time I've wasted over these clips by either losing them or fighting with a pick to pull them out at some odd angle you can't get your hand into.

ugh. I'm getting the set of 4.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had no idea tool existed. the amount of time I've wasted over these clips by either losing them or fighting with a pick to pull them out at some odd angle you can't get your hand into.

ugh. I'm getting the set of 4.
That's the kind of tool that I buy and then forget that I have when I need it.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the lines on my 08 Yukon in the driveway and not gonna lie , it really sucked but it is doable. My lines were stuck in the transmission so the quick release tool's didn't work and I had to pull out the clips with a pick. Putting the clips back in was fun as well. I have big hands and was able to get it done with a mirror and a lot of spilled knuckle blood. My 10 Burb was much easier with the lines bolting up to the side of the trans.
i'm guessing GM installs them before the body is mounted and laughs on the way out to lunch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019