2004 6.0 NV4500 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was time for a little maintenance tonight and since my shop is currently full I had to do it in one of my barns.

Changed oil over to some thick stuff since the rear main leaks a bit. Drain plug looked normal and I cut open the filter which looked clean as a whistle. I think it's been 5 or 6k since the last oil change and around 8 or 9k since I did the filter when I first bought it.

Also added some tow hooks I picked up used.

View attachment 240578 View attachment 240579 View attachment 240580 View attachment 240581 View attachment 240583
Sucks when your shop is full. Good oil can't wait till it warms up in a few months so I can start running the thicker oil.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe it was added by a previous owner.

That's very possible as the VIN report doesn't specify it just says "Brake Type - PWR". I know the guy I got it from did not swap it in because I specifically asked. But that doesn't mean someone before him didn't. It looks like this thing has had a hard multi-owner life lol.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was surprised how much quieter the engine sounds with the thicker oil. Oil pressure went up considerably which is to be expected but since this motor has unknown miles (Probably a metric :hump: ton) I don't think it will hurt it a bit.

Also its kinda fun to slum it under a barn like good ole times.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was surprised how much quieter the engine sounds with the thicker oil. Oil pressure went up considerably which is to be expected but since this motor has unknown miles (Probably a metric :hump: ton) I don't think it will hurt it a bit.

I use to run that exact oil in my bike when it first became available.(2013)

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

Which did you use?

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must be rough having to decide which barn will work best for your Oil change.

Well as you can see I'm dirt floor poor. Actually I just rebuilt an old horse barn and converted it into daily driver parking/oil change barn just gotta save for concrete which is crazy expensive right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660