2001 Burban, almost no oil pressure even after replacing the oil pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from: https://dannysengineportal.com/engine-oil-sludge-is-caused-by-your-engine-oil-breaking-down/

"The simplest solution here is to use a, chemical engine sludge remover. There are some sources that don’t really like them; but they are the easiest way, to get rid of sludge. They are typically added to the old oil; then you idle the engine for 5-10 minutes without driving it. This gives the chemical solution time to; dissolve the sludge and draw it back into the oil. Then you change the oil and the engine sludge, is removed along with the old oil. Finally, be sure to follow the specific application directions, for whatever you are using."

Maybe this could help, but I have never seen sludge like that.

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tend to disagree with some of these assumptions, based on my DD's latest oil report from Blackstone:

View attachment 354775
Well I'm hearing LOTS of mixed opinions then. Some folks claim it CAN break down simply with age. Some claim that you can go up to 12k or 15k miles on some oils regardless of how many months or years it takes to go that many miles.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I look at it this way. Changing the oil too early, according to what some say, is still cheaper over the long run than buying and installing an engine. Plus, drag racers change their oil every 1/4 mile.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I look at it this way. Changing the oil too early, according to what some say, is still cheaper over the long run than buying and installing an engine. Plus, drag racers change their oil every 1/4 mile.

I agree and shorter intervals make sense to me as preventative maintenance. I do try to make my trips full warmups. Remembering how many miles on the oil analysis I posted, it had to be less than 4K, mainly in town driving. But the engine computer said it was time. Granted, I've had the Fusion for only 2 years, and Grandma did a lot of short trips while she had it the previous four years. She was great, however, on getting the oil changed each year or 1K miles (her average was about 850 miles each year).

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I change my oil every 2500 miles with conventional oil. The most I've gone was 3000. Now that I think about it---I'm pretty sure my oil pressure problem started when I had a garage change my oil. Unbeknownst to me he used synthetic, which I'm assuming knocked all the sludge that was already there loose, probably clogging the pick up screen and starving the bearings and everything else. I was shocked when I saw the amount of sludge in the pan. Since everything has been changed my oil pressure is great.

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
I change mine every 5k or 50% of the DIC, whichever happens first. I highly doubt JUST waiting till 7500 or even 10k using synthetic is causing that much sludge, almost has to be some other problem. When I did my pan, there was zero sludge. I also saw several GMT800 trucks that routinely only go the DIC (usually around 10k) and none of them had sludge like that either. IMO it’s still cheap insurance to change it often with synthetic though!

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quality oil won't sludge up unless it's getting mixed with something else like coolant or moisture. I have been using Mobil1 full syn for years and hard, all the way up to 8-9k miles. Never had a problem with it flowing out sludged up. Mobil1 extended performance had never done me wrong. U must have something else mixing with that oil causing it to sludge up. I'm running it in the tahoe or Penzoil Plat full syn 5/30 every 7-8k miles. No issues here over 2 years now. But I'm fairly certain my rig saw decent maintenance before I got her.

You really won't know until you open that thing up. Wish there was an easy answer but with that kind of oil pressure your idling on borrowed time.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
used car prices just collapsed Now what? I was checking out CL prices dropped... by 50% guys

Quality oil won't sludge up unless it's getting mixed with something else like coolant or moisture. I have been using Mobil1 full syn for years and hard, all the way up to 8-9k miles. Never had a problem with it flowing out sludged up. Mobil1 extended performance had never done me wrong. U must have something else mixing with that oil causing it to sludge up. I'm running it in the tahoe or Penzoil Plat full syn 5/30 every 7-8k miles. No issues here over 2 years now. But I'm fairly certain my rig saw decent maintenance before I got her.

You really won't know until you open that thing up. Wish there was an easy answer but with that kind of oil pressure your idling on borrowed time.
Moisture causing sludge could very well be due to condensation. Short trips aren't allowing the oil to get hot enough to expel the water, so it accumulates and sluudges the oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hottyson