04 Silverado started knocking, what could it be? Rebuild started

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a close examination of the cam thru the lifter hole, I could see the damage done to the cam. The damage keeps getting worst. I'm starting to think the builder (Velocity parts & performance) used the wrong springs and created float on the lifters during high revs.
Does he have a parts list of what they used along with the cam specs? If it’s a real high lift cam they should have been dual springs.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a close examination of the cam thru the lifter hole, I could see the damage done to the cam. The damage keeps getting worst. I'm starting to think the builder (Velocity parts & performance) used the wrong springs and created float on the lifters during high revs.
How long ago did engine get rebuilt they may need to be involved with problem.

OP
OP
ivin74

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
How long ago did engine get rebuilt they may need to be involved with problem.
I got with them this morning and the parts were out of warranty, the work was done in 2020. They did give me a big discount on the new parts I purchase from them this morning.

New cam (just a bit bigger)
Dual spring setup
Chrome moly pushrods
OEM LS7 Lifters

Attachments

• 685305158.jpg
    685305158.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 8
  • 685305222.jpg
    685305222.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220919_150132.jpg
    20220919_150132.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If they should have used dual springs, did they? You did not say. If they did not, they should warranty.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got with them this morning and the parts were out of warranty, the work was done in 2020. They did give me a big discount on the new parts I purchase from them this morning.

New cam (just a bit bigger)
Dual spring setup
Chrome moly pushrods
OEM LS7 Lifters
How many miles were on engine since repair, I wouldn't use the push rods they used they shouldn't look that bad almost looks like they weren't heat treated correctly. Good luck with your repair.

OP
OP
ivin74

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
If they should have used dual springs, did they? You did not say. If they did not, they should warranty.
They should have, and they didn't. The answer I got was that 1/2 of the staff that worked there no longer work there. That shit doesn't fly, anyways he hooked me up with the parts(discounted). I'm doing the work now so, we are saving the labor cost. We are only out a bit of money and my son's & my time.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are correct they should have used a dual spring setup.

Cam Specs
TSP 220R .600 lift 110LSA
TSP Chrome Moly 7.40 pushrods
LS7 lifters
Yep. .600 lift definitely needs dual springs. Just ask @Dantheman1540. Good luck on the repairs, I know there might be metal throughout unfortunately. The duals are a ***** to install fyi so get a good spring compressor, not one of those stamped pos’s.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. .600 lift definitely needs dual springs. Just ask @Dantheman1540. Good luck on the repairs, I know there might be metal throughout unfortunately. The duals are a ***** to install fyi so get a good spring compressor, not one of those stamped pos’s.

Couldn’t be said any better, when I swapped my nice valves and dual springs into my ported 243s I broke multiple spring compressors. After I finally got a good spring compressor I nearly stripped rocker arm threads out of the heads. Go slow, and every turn or some on the spring compressor give the valve a “Bop-a-doodle-do” because sometimes the seats are just bound up it’s easy to over pressure it and put strain on the aluminum threads holding the tool in.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n