06 Esky Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
I just came across this forum for build photos. I have just Started a restomod build on this 06 Esky to use as a daily driver. The builder is a good friend and auto dealer in N. AL who builds restomods and sells them through Mecum as a side business. (He sold four cars at Mecum Dallas this year.)

Plans are to rebuild the trans and drop in a new engine. Doing a 2/3 drop using Belltech drop kit, autoride remove and replacing worn suspension and steering components. Doing '07 front brake rotor upgrade going to slotted rotors all around.

Engine: The engine is a GM performance LS364/450HP. It has LS3 rectangle port heads, LS6 cam (circa 02-04 Corvette) and a new GM truck style intake for higher pressure injectors. The engine is compatible with existing ECM. Once installed it will be program tuned. Going with shortie headers and dual exhausts with rear center mounted exhaust tips.

Exterior: Paint will be reconditioned and front grill painted to match. Also will paint running boards and rear bumper step pads to match for a unicolor look. 17" wheels replaced with 20s and Michelin Defender 275/55/20 tires. Roof rack will be removed as will trailer hitch. The spare tire will be removed and replaced with a ResQ Pro+ tire sealant/inflator kit.

Interior: For now the interior will be reconditioned and kept its original pewter color. Once I have the car I will explore getting the seat faces and door panel inserts dyed a dark red to match the exterior. If that's not practical, I'll eventually buy custom seat covers to accomplish the look. Will also replace the original radio. The third row will be removed and new carpet mat installed to cover the floor brackets.

So far, the trans is rebuilt. Engine is bought and delivered, but install delayed about a month because the installer is swamped right now. So the suspension, steering and brakes are going on next.

06Escaladebefore1.jpg

I'll include more photos as the build progresses.

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can’t wait to see what you do with the truck! We chatted a little while back about the bumper pads being painted to match. Did you ever get around to it? I’m curious to see what they look like body colored. Also curious to know what 20 inch wheee you’re going with!

OP
OP
m1949

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
Can’t wait to see what you do with the truck! We chatted a little while back about the bumper pads being painted to match. Did you ever get around to it? I’m curious to see what they look like body colored. Also curious to know what 20 inch wheee you’re going with!
Haven't painted the step pads yet. Paint will be the last thing we do. I've not yet settled on wheels. My budget for wheels and tires is $2k. I'm trying to stay under that, which is a challenge since four Michelin Defender tires are $1k. My builder says he can stay in budget by using a set of takeoff wheels. So I guess what wheels we use will depend on what I like that's available.

OP
OP
m1949

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
These are ideas for a decal for the engine cover I made using photoshop. I'm cutting an inset in the cover the badge/decal will set in. The lettering colors aren't showing quite right in these photos. The arced letters are silver and the middle ones are gold. I'm sanding and using some filler on the cover to get a smooth surface. Will paint it OE red to match the Esky's color. I'm also toying with the idea of making decals for the wheel caps. Haven't decided which of these I prefer.

I'll post more pictures when its done.

Attachments

• GMperformenginebadge.jpg
    GMperformenginebadge.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 9
  • CAddie Engine Decal2.jpg
    CAddie Engine Decal2.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't painted the step pads yet. Paint will be the last thing we do. I've not yet settled on wheels. My budget for wheels and tires is $2k. I'm trying to stay under that, which is a challenge since four Michelin Defender tires are $1k. My builder says he can stay in budget by using a set of takeoff wheels. So I guess what wheels we use will depend on what I like that's available.
An ok. Gotcha. Yeah I know the Michelin defenders all too well. Just spent 1100 on 275/60 defenders for the Nali myself lol.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Though I can’t complaint too much about tires…. As for the last 6 and a half years of ownership of mine I’ve had three sets of tires and I’ve lucked out and scored deals on just about about brand new tires but scored them second hand and paid a third of the price of retail. So this is the first time in six and a half years I’ve had to buy tires retail. So it’s not all THAT bad. Lol

cooki3mnster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a super cool project! Can't wait to see how it comes along. Be sure to post a bunch of pictures!

OP
OP
m1949

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
06 Esky build continues .....

New suspension, steering and brakes are in progress. Went with a Belltech 759 kit for a 2/3 drop. Should be completed by the end of next week. I'll post photos then.

Meanwhile, we are collecting everything we'll need to button-up the engine install and I'm trying to decide which of the four exhaust tip options I prefer. We are losing the tow hitch and spare tire to allow for center mounted exhausts. I may also make a fiberglass valance to go below the exhausts. But I can't begin mocking it up until I decide which exhaust option I prefer. I like all of these shown below. The valance will extend to the nearest backup sensor on each side. Here are workups of of our options with and without the lower valance.

Any thoughts?

Valanceexhaust options.jpg

Attachments

• 4Exhaust options.jpg
    4Exhaust options.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KCW_Andrew