04 Silverado started knocking, what could it be? Rebuild started

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They should have, and they didn't. The answer I got was that 1/2 of the staff that worked there no longer work there. That shit doesn't fly, anyways he hooked me up with the parts(discounted). I'm doing the work now so, we are saving the labor cost. We are only out a bit of money and my son's & my time.
This is why I do my own work. Especially when it’s something that can ruin an engine.
Couldn’t be said any better, when I swapped my nice valves and dual springs into my ported 243s I broke multiple spring compressors. After I finally got a good spring compressor I nearly stripped rocker arm threads out of the heads. Go slow, and every turn or some on the spring compressor give the valve a “Bop-a-doodle-do” because sometimes the seats are just bound up it’s easy to over pressure it and put strain on the aluminum threads holding the tool in.

Hopefully that makes sense.
One other thing I just thought of - use oil on the threads of the spring compressor, constantly. The strain the compressor put on the threads makes them want to bind if you don’t keep them oiled as you move along. I re-oil them for every spring or if I notice the nut getting hard to turn. You’ll see it makes a difference. Just something I learned.

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couldn’t be said any better, when I swapped my nice valves and dual springs into my ported 243s I broke multiple spring compressors. After I finally got a good spring compressor I nearly stripped rocker arm threads out of the heads. Go slow, and every turn or some on the spring compressor give the valve a “Bop-a-doodle-do” because sometimes the seats are just bound up it’s easy to over pressure it and put strain on the aluminum threads holding the tool in.

Hopefully that makes sense.
@Dantheman1540 Do you have the part number of your spring compressor. I'm thinking of rebuilding the engine I pulled out when I dropped a new upgraded engine into my Tahoe. My old heads have dual springs and I may want to have the heads refurbished.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is why I do my own work. Especially when it’s something that can ruin an engine.

One other thing I just thought of - use oil on the threads of the spring compressor, constantly. The strain the compressor put on the threads makes them want to bind if you don’t keep them oiled as you move along. I re-oil them for every spring or if I notice the nut getting hard to turn. You’ll see it makes a difference. Just something I learned.

Genius, wish I’d thought of that honestly.

@Dantheman1540 Do you have the part number of your spring compressor. I'm thinking of rebuilding the engine I pulled out when I dropped a new upgraded engine into my Tahoe. My old heads have dual springs and I may want to have the heads refurbished.

Here’s a link! Iirc I bought better bolts to use with it because I bent them. I’m also a savage and can break anything, be less like me.

COMP Cams 5462 Valve Spring Compressor for LS Engine https://a.co/d/bsnRRgJ

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
They should have, and they didn't. The answer I got was that 1/2 of the staff that worked there no longer work there. That shit doesn't fly, anyways he hooked me up with the parts(discounted). I'm doing the work now so, we are saving the labor cost. We are only out a bit of money and my son's & my time.
Half staff gone and that makes a warranty difference? C'mon man! I see where you are coming from but that company sounds like a fly by night crap shoot.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used one like this. Simple, cheap, works great. I did have to adjust the position just right before starting to compress the dual springs so the valve stem would be centered when compressed and the keepers would go on. And don’t forget to use a dab of grease on the keepers when you install them so they stay put.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
I got with them this morning and the parts were out of warranty, the work was done in 2020. They did give me a big discount on the new parts I purchase from them this morning.

New cam (just a bit bigger)
Dual spring setup
Chrome moly pushrods
OEM LS7 Lifters
Dam those push rods and cam look like they have 400,000 miles on them.Make sure your getting the correct parts for the lift and duration.Hell now be ready to put new cam bearings in and maybe rod and crank also.It does not look good from what you have shown.What was the oil pressure at idle when warm.

OP
OP
ivin74

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score

Great idea, I had not thought about that.
I'm using the C-Clamp Valve Spring Compressor tool kit, it makes it so much easier putting in the springs. The heads have to be removed to use this style of compressor kit.

Half staff gone and that makes a warranty difference? C'mon man! I see where you are coming from but that company sounds like a fly by night crap shoot.
I'm done with those yahoos. I would not let that shop touch any of my vehicles again, not even for warranty work. I also blame myself for not being educated enough at the time on rebuilding/modifying engines. I took it for granted and let the experts do the work (experts, in taking people's money). This is the second time I have gotten screwed by a shop. The first time was when I had a transmission shop rebuild the front diff of my Yukon (I ended up rebuilding it again a year and a half.) after I rebuilt it, it has been on the road for 5 years and with no issues so far.

I now try to do most of the mechanic work, at least until I'm able to.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you bring them to a shop for machining and rebuilding, they should have a bench-mounted compressor where they position the head underneath it and pull a long lever to make easy and quick work of it. The other, smaller screw-style types are for working the springs with the heads still on the engine and/or in the vehicle. Let the shop do the tedious work if they're gonna do the machining.

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Genius, wish I’d thought of that honestly.

Here’s a link! Iirc I bought better bolts to use with it because I bent them. I’m also a savage and can break anything, be less like me.

COMP Cams 5462 Valve Spring Compressor for LS Engine https://a.co/d/bsnRRgJ
Thank you for the link.

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used one like this. Simple, cheap, works great. I did have to adjust the position just right before starting to compress the dual springs so the valve stem would be centered when compressed and the keepers would go on. And don’t forget to use a dab of grease on the keepers when you install them so they stay put.

Thank you for the link.