Thoughts on 97 model year Tahoe/Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMW468

Reaction score
So here's my scenario. Back in 95 when I got out of the Marines, I bought a brand new 94 Silverado 4WD extended cab. The 95's were out but this truck had everything I wanted and since it was a left over, I got it for a better price.

Well that 94 Silverado is still mine. I daily drove it for 24 years and last year when it hit 198,000 miles my wife said to me "dude, it's time you treat yourself to a new truck". Well before I even had a chance to stop by a dealership or even look online, my wife was on her way home from work in her Acura and wacked a deer totaling the car. So what we did was take the insurance money from the Acura and buy her a new car. I gave the Silverado to my kids, and I scored my 95 Tahoe from a friend of a friend. When I bought the Tahoe last year, it had only 62,000 original miles on it and today it's about 200 miles shy of 68K.

It's a great truck, I got it for $3500 and the only thing I had to do to it was charge up the AC. It's been running fantastic since day 1. But yesterday a buddy of mine hit me up asking if I knew of anyone looking for a pick up. He has a guy he knows selling a 97 Silverado extended cab 4WD with 101,000 miles. It's got a rebuilt trans, new fuel pump, 4 new tires, and was just inspected. He's only asking $3500 for the truck. I have zero complaints about my Tahoe but there are times where I do miss my pick up. My kids use it so much these days that it seems like it's rarely home. Hell, I feel like I need to make an appointment to drive my own truck. It's now got 203,000 miles and even though I've been meticulous with maintenance, I'm wondering how much longer it will go before something major happens to it.

I'm wondering if it's just worthwhile to grab this 97 just because it looks to be a clean truck. Apparently the trans has already been rebuilt and it still has an existing warranty. I'm waiting to hear back on the status of the brake and fuel lines too. The only thing I don't know about these trucks is the status of the intake manifold gaskets. Weren't these years prone to gasket issues??

Any thoughts or experience is appreciated.

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the era of the bad gaskets, in both vehicles. Usually you’ll have some warning signs, like disappearing coolant or a minor coolant leak. On either vehicle, roll with it and repair if needed, IMO.
It’s not a fun job but a socket set and 1/4” torque wrench are all that’s required.

I’d be more curious as to why the transmission needed rebuilding at 100K.

OP
OP
GMW468

GMW468

Reaction score
Well I grabbed the truck. I went to look at it in person and it was super clean. It had already had the intake gaskets replaced, trans rebuilt with a warranty, and all the brake and fuel lines had been replaced.

It also has a tow package with a heavy duty trans cooler, and a 3:73 rear with limited slip. The previous owner also installed a nice tonneau cover and dual exhaust after the cats.

It drove like a dream so I offered him $3,000 cash and we agreed on $3200.

My wife has been working from home during this pandemic so her WRX is in the garage next to my Chevelle. Her WRX only has 45,000 miles and it's paid for. I use my Tahoe as a daily driver and my kids use my old pick up. Honestly, I don't know what I'm going to do with this new truck but it was so clean for the price that I grabbed it.

I offered to sell my wife's WRX and give her the Tahoe but she's not having any of that. She loves her WRX. I'm going to drive both the truck and the Tahoe for a while and then decide whether I want to keep the Tahoe or get rid of my old truck and let my kids use the new one.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I grabbed the truck. I went to look at it in person and it was super clean. It had already had the intake gaskets replaced, trans rebuilt with a warranty, and all the brake and fuel lines had been replaced.

It also has a tow package with a heavy duty trans cooler, and a 3:73 rear with limited slip. The previous owner also installed a nice tonneau cover and dual exhaust after the cats.

It drove like a dream so I offered him $3,000 cash and we agreed on $3200.

My wife has been working from home during this pandemic so her WRX is in the garage next to my Chevelle. Her WRX only has 45,000 miles and it's paid for. I use my Tahoe as a daily driver and my kids use my old pick up. Honestly, I don't know what I'm going to do with this new truck but it was so clean for the price that I grabbed it.

I offered to sell my wife's WRX and give her the Tahoe but she's not having any of that. She loves her WRX. I'm going to drive both the truck and the Tahoe for a while and then decide whether I want to keep the Tahoe or get rid of my old truck and let my kids use the new one.
You know the rules.....:pics-stfu:

IRQVET

2 Door Owners Club
Reaction score
I’d be more curious as to why the transmission needed rebuilding at 100K.

You read my mind, that was the first thing that popped in my mine after reading this as well. Mine trans has 200K with zero issues and its never been touched.