Would like opinions on front pads for '12 XL Denali, thinking about Hawk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking an app on your phone or something, I think Torque Pro can do it, dragy maybe. I use a VC-200.
I haven't found those things to be very accurate in the past but I'll see what's useful I have torque pro and a gang of bluetooth dongles, I guess it might work for stopping if it's reading the abs signal

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't found those things to be very accurate in the past but I'll see what's useful I have torque pro and a gang of bluetooth dongles, I guess it might work for stopping if it's reading the abs signal
Yep, I just looked in my phone and Torque has a 60 to 0 gauge but don't have the truck to see how it works. Wife out getting her hair done.

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the story on these rear AC pads?

17D1194SDH

I want to stay with the semi-metallic but how much of a ceramic pad are these?

I have a new set of GM 22742382 on front and don't want to mix this up so much that I have good cold bite on the front, and less on the rear.

Would the current OE GM semi-metallic pad for the rear be the best pairing?

Reaction score
Would've loved to have had the foresight to measure the 60-0 stopping distance with my worn out warped factory rotors and pads, so I could compare it with the Powerstop Z36's I put on a few years ago. Likely wouldn't have trusted and app though, but I'm weird like that. Just counted 22 total apps on my phone.....only 7 of which didn't come on the phone- WVUSports, Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, weather app, Pandora, and my HVAC thermostat lol...

These Powerstops allegedly have carbon fiber infused pads that's engineered to work with either: a coating on rotors -or- rotor compound itself to offer more friction?? I don't believe half the advertising anymore but they've brought a lot of weight to a stop very well for several years now

20190530_085339.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First set of front pads went 57,282 miles. Second set went 78,658 miles. First set of rear pads went 121,173 miles.

Our 2013 Sierra's brakes are all original and she's in the 80K mile range. The front pads are pretty thin.

@Doubeleive Hey Wes, would you do a 60 to 0 crash stop sometime to show the difference in stopping power between stock brakes and the ones you are using now?
63 to 0 in 128.9ft already warmed up w/20" goodyear eagle sport a/s, Edmunds rates oe as 145ft (for 2013 yukon xl) only brake rating I could find
that was read from my meastro rr obd interface with my pioneer radio vehicle interface
63-0stop.jpg

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
63 to 0 in 128.9ft already warmed up w/20" goodyear eagle sport a/s, Edmunds rates oe as 145ft (for 2013 yukon xl) only brake rating I could find
that was read from my meastro rr obd interface with my pioneer radio vehicle interface
View attachment 394929
That's some awesome stopping power! Thanks Wes!

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the Hawk(green box)on my 2002 Yukon XL and they were head and shoulders above the original stock pads. I did a lot of towing and they felt like brakes should feel. Lots of stopping power.

how is the dust on the green box? I run the hps 5.0s on the car and enjoy them. but they do. dust some, not something I want to deal with on the truck.

my 2nd choice I'm thinking about the higher end raybestos kit. rock auto has a good deal, and I like them on my obs 96 tahoe that is known for mushy peddles.

honestly not a oem brake guy, they do seem to last a long time though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt