Would like opinions on front pads for '12 XL Denali, thinking about Hawk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently did a fresh set of pads/rotors for the front and pads on the rear. I went with my usual Napa Ultra Premium rotors but tried the Silent Guard pads and I'm not impressed.

I'm going to start over they are that bad...and a first from me for NAPA and I don't blame them, It's just not the ideal pad IMO for a 3 ton vehicle

So I'm thinking about the Hawk HPS, I don't mind replacing them every 30K if it comes to that, I just want them to bite hard and in a linear fashion when cold as well as hot, but mainly the strong initial bite. A little dust is fine, but definitely don't want them to squeal. This will also include occasional towing.

I believe the pads that came off were OE, and they seemed good, but not great, better than these pads now.

Curious to if others have used them on the LWB 1500 and open for all debates/criticism.

I believe the Super Duty pads will be overkill with a good bit of dust.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hawk pads are well thought of on the forums once they get hot.

My own preference has been what the truck came with, GM OE pads and rotors. She still stops as fast as day 1, 130s from 60 mph.

Front Pads - 22742382/171-1074
Rear Pads - 19329677/171-0999

Latest organic pads no longer contain copper because some lunatics say its bad for you. ACDelco also offers front pads for those who do a lot of towing: 17D1367SDH. Of course they work best when paired up with their special rotors and calipers; 18A1705SD and 18FR2659KSD respectively.

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I am trying to avoid the "overly mushy" cold pedal, but if I only lose maybe 10% for the first stop then that's not too bad, but I've heard different.

I wonder what's different with the calipers? Would the JL-4 spec the pads or rotors differently? Maybe different size pistons for added hydraulic advantage with the 18A1705SD calipers.

repairman54

Reaction score
I've been using Wagner OEX pads on my '11. I get 50k miles out of them with towing duty. At 150k miles now and ready for another brake job. I only use coated rotors also, not the painted but rust coated ones. They will be my 3rd set going on. My truck see's salt usage also. I do not like performance type pads on a daily driver no matter the type of vehicle especially the dust and cold pad feel.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hawk pads stop great but they are NOISY. Like crazy noisy. Noisier than my 6 piston Brembos on my SS.

I used Brembo’s stock replacement pads on a few family member’s vehicles and they’ve been great so far. You can get them on Rock Auto or Amazon. They also sell stock replacement rotors that are great quality.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running Power Stop Z17 pads and rotors on the front of my 2007 and they've been fine for 35K miles now - no dust, no pulsing, and pads are still close to new thickness so they're wearing well. That said, last week I noticed a strange wear pattern on the inside of the passenger side rotor - as if some of the pad isn't contacting the rotor correctly toward the outer 1/4" of the contact area on the rotor. They're still stopping as good as ever and there is no noise, but I'm planning to take it apart in the next few weeks and see what's up.

I'd planned to put OEM pads and rotors on it when I did the work but I needed to buy from local stock due to time constraints, and the Power Stop stuff was the best available to me at the time. I agree with James that the OEM pads and rotors are pretty solid and generate little or no dust.

I still have the original pads and rotors on my 2012 and they're still in good shape at 132K, so when the time comes I'm torn between staying with OEM or going with these since I tow a lot with it:

OP
OP
D

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hawk pads stop great but they are NOISY. Like crazy noisy. Noisier than my 6 piston Brembos on my SS.

Which Hawk pads are you referring to?

Yes it does for the pads and rotors. Not sure about the towing calipers
Thanks. I was able to verify with my dealer that the pads were in fact different as you stated. They said my OE front pads are 19369415 based on my VIN.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
We had issues with OEM pads making a huge mess with dust on our 08 YXL Denali. Went with Bosch ceramic for the level playing field on hot / cold performance and very little dust. We’re pushing 5 years life so far.

The manufacturers removed the copper in the pad mixture because it fubars fish we eat. In 2010 Schwarzenegger wrote the law due to all the cars CA has. Copper as well as mercury, lead, cadmium, asbestiform fibers, and chromium-six salts (heavy metal) were also removed.

D48DE9E4-5D8A-40D7-96BB-5AA55BF0B7BC.gif

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They said my OE front pads are 19369415 based on my VIN.
That's the latest, copper free, number I believe. The numbers I posted were the ones I've been using since 2017.

The manufacturers removed the copper in the pad mixture because it fubars fish we eat. In 2010 Schwarzenegger wrote the law due to all the cars CA has. Copper as well as mercury, lead, cadmium, asbestiform fibers, and chromium-six salts (heavy metal) were also removed.
We've had copper in our pads for how long? I call baloney on that one, especially since it is a natural material and heavy. Like gold, it's heavier than water and goes right back into the ground. I have seen fish with growths on them at the inlets, presumably from fertilizer runoff. Copper cause this too? I broke a thermometer a few months back and the mercury went right into my skin. Heavy levels of lead do make people crazy but I don't ingest it and wash my hands after making boolits. The people clamoring for all these bans are the same ones who made us switch from paper to plastic and now what? They want us back to paper/cloth bags.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick