Which build months are safe from lifter problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you'll need an attorney to get GM to do the right thing. Sorry to hear that you are having these troubles and hope someday you come out alright.

Yukon21Denali

Reaction score
My 21 Yukon Denali w/5k miles failed with a bent lifter 400 miles from home with my wife, two 100+ lbs dogs and daughter on board. That's why I got the Yukon, duh, road trips with the family. Was given an economy Buick Encore loaner and told, good luck on your trip home. Yukon is now said to be fixed after replacing all 16 lifters and they want the loaner back. Hmm, I'm 400 miles away now. Trying to get GM to buy the Yukon back so I can start my SUV search over again. What a disappointment in how all of this has been handled by GM.
Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Yukon. Would you mind sharing the build month?

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I find the build month. The car is at a dealer 400 miles away at the moment. I do have the VIN though.
It’s normally on a sticker inside tbe driver’s side door but the dealer should also be able to look it up on the computer to tell you the exact date.

My decal shows 03/21 although the dealer looked it up and told me the exact date was 3/19/2021.

So far I haven’t had any issues but I’ve only got 5k miles on it. Also the TSB talks about lifter issues between Sept 2020 and March 31, 2021 build dates so I’m hoping that maybe I’m lucky and won’t have an issue.

2011TahoeLT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It’s normally on a sticker inside tbe driver’s side door but the dealer should also be able to look it up on the computer to tell you the exact date.

My decal shows 03/21 although the dealer looked it up and told me the exact date was 3/19/2021.

So far I haven’t had any issues but I’ve only got 5k miles on it. Also the TSB talks about lifter issues between Sept 2020 and March 31, 2021 build dates so I’m hoping that maybe I’m lucky and won’t have an issue.
Same here. 2021 Yukon Denali 6.2 Build date 3/31/2021 with 7,600 miles and fortunately no issues so far. Multiple trips including round trip between NY and FL.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here. 2021 Yukon Denali 6.2 Build date 3/31/2021 with 7,600 miles and fortunately no issues so far. Multiple trips including round trip between NY and FL.
Awesome. Makes me feel a little better. :)

Hopefully we’re both in the clear.

Segalldontfly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have over 16k miles on mine; was one of the first owners (of 2021) on here. No lifter issues. Mine felt like it took 3-5k miles to fully break in. I've never been a fan of this powertrain (5.3 and 10 speed). It seems ruff at idle, with shudders at lower gear changes and low on power. Power is just adequate, but not fluid. I guess I'm trying to say the powertrain is not refined.
I just posted about the rough idling on my Yukon. Would be interested if you understand what I am describing.

Marc Marc

Reaction score
Update on my 2021 AT4 which I took delivery on May 23 with a build date of 3/31/21 per GM chat operator...now have 17,800 miles on it; trouble free and no lifter problems. Knock on wood!!

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on my 2021 AT4 which I took delivery on May 23 with a build date of 3/31/21 per GM chat operator...now have 17,800 miles on it; trouble free and no lifter problems. Knock on wood!!
Awesome…that’s what I like to hear!

So far I’ve only seen one post of someone with a lifter issue towards the end of March. Mine was build Mar 19th so I hope to have the same luck as you with yours.