Which build months are safe from lifter problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pressed my GMC service writer to hazard a guess as to what percentage of Yukons have the dreaded failures. He guessed 5% for the 5.3L and 10% for the 6.2L.

He emphasized he was guessing.

That gives me hope the thing will hold together. Thanks for the info.

brucesmays

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2021 Tahoe was produced in October 2020. Yesterday at 17,256 miles, it started stalling out when stopping in traffic. Then warning dialogue box popped up saying Forward Collision System Unavailable. Check engine light started flashing. Then another dialogue box saying Service Traction Control. Then dialogue box saying Service ESC. Then all dialogue boxes stopped and the flashing check engine light went off. Then a few minutes later it all started over again. This time check engine light stayed on. Dealer says it is the lifter failure issue. Thankfully they have all the parts in stock.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2021 Tahoe was produced in October 2020. Yesterday at 17,256 miles, it started stalling out when stopping in traffic. Then warning dialogue box popped up saying Forward Collision System Unavailable. Check engine light started flashing. Then another dialogue box saying Service Traction Control. Then dialogue box saying Service ESC. Then all dialogue boxes stopped and the flashing check engine light went off. Then a few minutes later it all started over again. This time check engine light stayed on. Dealer says it is the lifter failure issue. Thankfully they have all the parts in stock.
That sucks, but good you don't have to wait for parts.

Is that the first time that's happened? I don't think I've seen anyone on the forum with that many miles on their '21 that ran into the lifter issue.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would press them to change all 16 when they are at it. My dealer now changes all 16 anytime a truck that was produced in the bad lifter window comes in with a collapsed lifter. They had a fleet customer that had a batch of trucks produced in that bad lifter window. They learned the hard way that an unacceptable number of trucks where they only replaced a single bank’s lifters came back for a replacement of the second bank, usually within 10K miles.

I have read GM’s guidance was to replace only a single bank for any truck coming in with a bad lifter, if it had more than 8K miles on the clock.

I have read that GM is now having the dealer replace all 16 lifters on any new truck they get that has an engine that was built in the bad lifter window (before 3/5/2021). If GM is willing to do that for this issue to go away once and for all, they should be willing to do that for anyone who has a single lifter failure on an engine built in the bad lifter window. At least that would be my argument with the dealer if they balk at replacing all 16.

Best of luck.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to hazard a guess how many engines were produced between Oct 2020 ( or before?) and 3-5-21?

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got an interesting slight shudder developing at idle which I’m curious is the start of another litter issue. I’ll be taking it in on the 28th and reporting back here what they find.

Last edited:

Hobert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the volume they need to keep up with the assembly plant. 182 days X 1200 vehicles per day = Approximately 218,400.
I over estimated, begin 10/1 stopping at 3/5 155 days 186,000 units (assuming full advertised production of 1200 units per day)

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got an interesting slight shudder developing at idle which I’m curious is the start of another litter issue. I’ll be taking it in on the 28th and reporting back here what they find.
It is pretty unlikely that a collapsed lifter would just produce a slight shudder at idle. When they collapse, you get a hard miss in the affected cylinder, CEL and any number of other dash lights and messages like Stabilitrak off, etc.

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is pretty unlikely that a collapsed lifter would just produce a slight shudder at idle. When they collapse, you get a hard miss in the affected cylinder, CEL and any number of other dash lights and messages like Stabilitrak off, etc.

When I had lifter failure at 12,995 miles, I had a very slight shudder in the engine when coming down from highway sustained speed. The vehicle almost felt like something spun around the driveshaft. It then operated normally for the next 15-20 min then all hell broke loose as I rolled in to town.

I’m convinced something’s wonky with my engine after the repair. Curious if the lifters are just beginning to fail or if it’s something else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9