Which build months are safe from lifter problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hdrolling

Reaction score
On the facebook Tahoe groups there are already July 2021 engines having lifter failures, I don't think any month is safe completely.

20Tahoe21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking for build date on door jamb/door stickers. All I see is the tire inflation sticker and the trailer towing capacities on the 2 stickers on the driver's side door jamb. On the door itself is the small round sticker saying it was built in Arlington. There is no sign of a date on any of the 3 stickers. Am I missing something? My 2021 Tahoe RST was delivered to my dealer on April 28, 2021. The owner's manual packet says the package of literature was shipped to Arlington in March 2021. That would make it seem logical the vehicle was built in March/April 2021. Any other ways than the door stickers to check for exact build date??

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for build date on door jamb/door stickers. All I see is the tire inflation sticker and the trailer towing capacities on the 2 stickers on the driver's side door jamb. On the door itself is the small round sticker saying it was built in Arlington. There is no sign of a date on any of the 3 stickers. Am I missing something? My 2021 Tahoe RST was delivered to my dealer on April 28, 2021. The owner's manual packet says the package of literature was shipped to Arlington in March 2021. That would make it seem logical the vehicle was built in March/April 2021. Any other ways than the door stickers to check for exact build date??
Look lower on the B pillar - there's a third silver sticker mounted horizontally with lots of GM info. Build date expressed as mm/yy top left of that sticker.

20Tahoe21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Look lower on the B pillar - there's a third silver sticker mounted horizontally with lots of GM info. Build date expressed as mm/yy top left of that sticker.
Thank you, sir. Looks like mine was built on 04/21. They didn't waste any time as it arrived in North Carolina on the 28th.

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, sir. Looks like mine was built on 04/21. They didn't waste any time as it arrived in North Carolina on the 28th.
That means April 2021 not April 21. If you want actual "born" date, dealer can probably get for you.

20Tahoe21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That means April 2021 not April 21. If you want actual "born" date, dealer can probably get for you.
Okay. Thanks for clarifying. Been trouble free so far with about 4k on it. Drove it from NC to Boston and back and it was great. I got a hand calculated 24.7 mpg on the interstate on about 2000 mile round trip. That is hard to believe on a vehicle this size. Hopefully the DFM system continues this performance and also allows me to pull my bass boat with enough giddy up to get up and down the mountains of WNC. Also have a 2012 Suburban LT with 76k on it. Zero issues with anything on it. Replaced the rotors and pads on it at 70k and put a battery in it. That is all in 9 years. Also had a 2011 Silverado LTZ dually 3500 Duramax which I traded on the Tahoe. It was a great truck but the diesel emissions crap was a constant PITA. I could not trust it on a long trip at all because of codes and limp modes, etc. My only bad experience with a GM product in 35 years of owning them. Hope the Tahoe is as reliable as the Suburban. Thanks again.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay. Thanks for clarifying. Been trouble free so far with about 4k on it. Drove it from NC to Boston and back and it was great. I got a hand calculated 24.7 mpg on the interstate on about 2000 mile round trip. That is hard to believe on a vehicle this size. Hopefully the DFM system continues this performance and also allows me to pull my bass boat with enough giddy up to get up and down the mountains of WNC. Also have a 2012 Suburban LT with 76k on it. Zero issues with anything on it. Replaced the rotors and pads on it at 70k and put a battery in it. That is all in 9 years. Also had a 2011 Silverado LTZ dually 3500 Duramax which I traded on the Tahoe. It was a great truck but the diesel emissions crap was a constant PITA. I could not trust it on a long trip at all because of codes and limp modes, etc. My only bad experience with a GM product in 35 years of owning them. Hope the Tahoe is as reliable as the Suburban. Thanks again.
So far so good on mine too…build date is 3/21 on the door but the dealer told me it was built on 3/19/2021. I believe the problems went away after early March.

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had lifter failure and a bent pushrod at 12,995 miles in my 21 Denali (build date TBD but took delivery the 2nd week of Feb). It stranded me approx 400 miles away from home and luckily was just my gundog and me- not my whole family. So far the vehicle has been out of service 3 weeks today but was repaired this past Friday. Now GM Corporate is working to “Reunite” me with the vehicle but extremely slow in communicating how/when.

My confidence in this vehicle is EXTREMELY dashed: the week before it failed, I was 38 miles from civilization, approx 4 miles down in a canyon, out in the Bighorn Mountains in WY hunting and scouting elk with my bow. It was in the upper 80’s and if it failed me then, it could literally have become a life and death scenario as there was no water sources except what was in my vehicle and no cell service. I did have an emergency satellite device but can only imagine the look on SAR’s faces to come upon me sitting in the front seat of my $81,600 SUV drinking a glass of scotch and saying “Oh HAI U GAIS! Wat took U SO LAWNG???”

Last edited:

scottwoyak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 21 Yukon Denali w/5k miles failed with a bent lifter 400 miles from home with my wife, two 100+ lbs dogs and daughter on board. That's why I got the Yukon, duh, road trips with the family. Was given an economy Buick Encore loaner and told, good luck on your trip home. Yukon is now said to be fixed after replacing all 16 lifters and they want the loaner back. Hmm, I'm 400 miles away now. Trying to get GM to buy the Yukon back so I can start my SUV search over again. What a disappointment in how all of this has been handled by GM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TU1881

Latest posts