1000 miles from home dead 2022 Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These new rigs have a smidge more electronics going on than an ‘09. And different things can happen to different vehicles. Just because you didnt have it happen to your 13 year older vehicle dosnt necessarily mean it couldnt happen to his.

He made it sound like it’s knocking loud enough that you wouldnt even wanna start the motor…let alone still drive it. So while it maybe hasn’t necessarily “stranded” him…it really kinda has.
I’m not suggesting what you’re saying. I’m suggesting that the initial diagnosis of a lifter “tapping” is likely not what’s actually wrong (or the only thing wrong) with his truck, and am wondering if that initial diagnosis has since turned into something else.

Btw, “knocking” isn’t “lifter ticking/tapping” to me. “Knocking” or “pinging” is (typically) a lot more serious than a loud/broken lifter.

I want to know exactly what they found to be wrong with his truck. Don’t you?

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not suggesting what you’re saying. I’m suggesting that the initial diagnosis of a lifter “tapping” is likely not what’s actually wrong (or the only thing wrong) with his truck, and am wondering if that initial diagnosis has since turned into something else.

Btw, “knocking” isn’t “lifter ticking/tapping” to me. “Knocking” or “pinging” is (typically) a lot more serious than a loud/broken lifter.

I want to know exactly what they found to be wrong with his truck. Don’t you?

Yea i get what you are saying. Im curious as well. They likely havnt got that deep into it yet.

Regardless if all the electrical issues are related or not (likely probably not)…loud noises coming from a new motor is not good.

Just sucks all around. For everybody. But is what it is.

Shrubs2K2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it can be repaired as I'm a member of the failed lifter club too. We were fortunate we were able to make it home (150 miles) and didn't get stranded. However, I addressed these lifter issue all the way to the North American executive (Lack of) customer care team and they didn't care.

Press them politely but still press since you were stranded.

Rafs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry you're having issues! Last week I was 300 miles from home in my near new 1997 Yukon with 265K miles on it. It started running terrible and the fuel gauge acted like I poked a hole in it. I found a Harbor Freight just down the road from an O'Riellys. Picked up a step ladder and a few tools from HF. Grabbed a distributor cap and rotor from the auto parts store and did the parking lot rebuild. Great guy at the auto parts store loaned me a bunch of tools. The entire adventure was about 2 hours long. Looking back it was satisfying and a bit fun. However my wife didn't share my sense of adventure and made disparaging comments about my "Worn out old truck".

mannyp02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a similar experience with my 2021 Yukon Denali XL. Bought in late March '21, was in a local shop in June and then broke down again (same issue, transmission stuff) in July after driving 11 hrs to our vacation location. Vehicle could not be moved so it was towed to a dealer where we were. Very frustrating time for us as this was still during COVID "supply issues" and they had no loaner vehicles. The dealer contacted Enterprise and got us a minivan (which I was not happy with but didn't have a choice) as there was no way it would be fixed before our departure date. It ended up taking over a month to get repaired (again because of COVID supply chain issues for parts) but the dealer I worked with there was very nice and accommodating especially considering we lived so far away. Everything was covered by GM (obviously) including the rental and them arranging a flat bed to delivery my vehicle back to my home once it was finally repaired. Ultimately I was able to get an extended warranty out of GM for all my troubles but my preference would've been to lemon law it or have the dealer I purchased from assist with a trade or something but the dealership was absolutely no help at all. Thankfully I've not had any additional problems from it since (*knock on wood).

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry you're having issues! Last week I was 300 miles from home in my near new 1997 Yukon with 265K miles on it. It started running terrible and the fuel gauge acted like I poked a hole in it. I found a Harbor Freight just down the road from an O'Riellys. Picked up a step ladder and a few tools from HF. Grabbed a distributor cap and rotor from the auto parts store and did the parking lot rebuild. Great guy at the auto parts store loaned me a bunch of tools. The entire adventure was about 2 hours long. Looking back it was satisfying and a bit fun. However my wife didn't share my sense of adventure and made disparaging comments about my "Worn out old truck".
Salute, not many people would drive a truck that new that far from home.

OP
OP
H

Hiebs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@Hiebs What is the prognosis?
Dealer replaced both banks of lifters, was running good, tech took it for a test drive, went about a mile and the lower end of the motor took a shit!! Can't even make this shit up!! Teck pulled dipstick and oil had metal shavings. Truck is still sitting down south waiting for a new motor, which is back ordered ( go figure ). There was a Cadillac that they had just replaced the motor in for the same thing sitting there, that motor was almost a month before it showed up. The dealership was great, the service rep was awesome, but GM has been shit, I've submitted several emails and have a case opened. The case worker u had left me a voicemail saying they were " looking into it" . Meanwhile I had to find a rental and pay for it to get home. I still have no idea what I need to do or submit to GM as I can't get in contact with my case worker, although I'm sure that's going to go nowhere. It's just so maddening knowing that GM continues to put these motors in vehicles knowing how they are, it's even worse knowing what they are doing to their customers. I was lucky enough to make it to an area that I had help near by, had this happened just 3 or 4 hundred miles sooner, I would have been dead in the mountains with my whole family, probably waiting for hours for help ( as others here have ). There needs to be a class action lawsuit for this, or at least some sort of compensation for the people that are having issues. The worse part is, they are putting a new motor in, but it's the same motor with the same issues.

OP
OP
H

Hiebs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree. Given all of the main and rod bearing problems in these recent 6.2s and the dealer comment that it normally shuts these down, my hypothesis is a bottom end problem.
Spot on, after replacing both banks of lifters the tech took it for a rest drive and after a mile of running great, the bottom end gave out, metal shavings in the oil, now it's sitting there waiting for a back ordered motor.... complete ******** to have to deal with this!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dealer replaced both banks of lifters, was running good, tech took it for a test drive, went about a mile and the lower end of the motor took a shit!! Can't even make this shit up!! Teck pulled dipstick and oil had metal shavings. Truck is still sitting down south waiting for a new motor, which is back ordered ( go figure ). There was a Cadillac that they had just replaced the motor in for the same thing sitting there, that motor was almost a month before it showed up. The dealership was great, the service rep was awesome, but GM has been shit, I've submitted several emails and have a case opened. The case worker u had left me a voicemail saying they were " looking into it" . Meanwhile I had to find a rental and pay for it to get home. I still have no idea what I need to do or submit to GM as I can't get in contact with my case worker, although I'm sure that's going to go nowhere. It's just so maddening knowing that GM continues to put these motors in vehicles knowing how they are, it's even worse knowing what they are doing to their customers. I was lucky enough to make it to an area that I had help near by, had this happened just 3 or 4 hundred miles sooner, I would have been dead in the mountains with my whole family, probably waiting for hours for help ( as others here have ). There needs to be a class action lawsuit for this, or at least some sort of compensation for the people that are having issues. The worse part is, they are putting a new motor in, but it's the same motor with the same issues.
I would be jockeying for a extended warranty at the very least, huge inconvenience for you

Last edited:

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, Hiebs. That’s terrible. And that’s what I was getting at all along— that it sounded like a BS initial diagnosis, and that it was likely going to be something much worse.

Sorry about your troubles. I’ll be crossing my fingers that I don’t have the same issues with my truck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar