1000 miles from home dead 2022 Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dbphillips, If you decide to keep it I would be asking GM to extend my factory warranty on the engine to 100,000 miles. Good luck with your decision.

It's a Duramax. ;)
And I will definitely be asking for them to pick up my 7/70 warranty cost.

dbphillips

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, let us know how you come out.

Suggestion:
1) Thnank the dealer for getting you in right away (they didn't have to, but they did. And that was nice of them)
2) Ask the Dealer to contact GM about the mechanical breakdown, and ask them to ask GM what GM can do for you (again, not this dealer's fault GM built a bad engine; but by being nice to them, they may be more apt to assist).
3) If the dealer cannot get you square w/ GM, then ask for the GM reginonal service rep's number and give her/him a call. If she/he cannot be reached, call GM roadside or GM Customer service, and convey your story (nicely) and ask for what you would like GM to do: a) get vehicle fixed at this dealer --they are obligated to do this, b) Arrange for a rental or promise to reimburse a rental so you can get your family home, c) ask about the "vehicle reunification program" which I think is what GM has when you have a breakdown tha takes time to fix and you are far from home...I believe they ship it back for you, or fly you baack to get it
The dealer I purchased from wouldn't give me the regional manager's number. Customer care still hasn't forwarded my request. Going to a new dealer this week.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
it can be repaired at ANY gm dealer nationwide, but getting it back home after the repair is on you. meaning you will have to go pick it up be it a week later or a month later
you might get lucky and get it repaired in a couple days, I believe the current procedure is to replace the whole side. provided the parts are in stock.
I say wait. My 13 has the trans go south on a trip 5 hours from home. I drive the enterprise rental they provided back home and called BBB. GM rep called and covered my hotel expenses as well as getting the dealer to drive it back to me. (2 weeks later) He returned in the rental back home 5 hours.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not dead, ticking so loud it was amazing that it wasn't, dealer didn't understand how it wasn't dead, no dash lights, nothing, even mechanic at dealership didn't understand how I made it there, they said normally it shuts the truck right down.

@Hiebs What is the prognosis?

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He stated that the service guy said it “sounds like” a lifter issue. And then he also said he’s waiting to hear what the deal is. Well, so am I.

A lifter issue causing the dash lights to go out? That makes no sense. I had lifter ticking in my ‘09, and whereas it was annoying, it was also intermittent— and it never knocked out any electronics, let alone left me stranded.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He stated that the service guy said it “sounds like” a lifter issue. And then he also said he’s waiting to hear what the deal is. Well, so am I.

A lifter issue causing the dash lights to go out? That makes no sense. I had lifter ticking in my ‘09, and whereas it was annoying, it was also intermittent— and it never knocked out any electronics, let alone left me stranded.

These new rigs have a smidge more electronics going on than an ‘09. And different things can happen to different vehicles. Just because you didnt have it happen to your 13 year older vehicle dosnt necessarily mean it couldnt happen to his.

He made it sound like its knocking loud enough that you wouldnt even wanna start the motor…let alone still drive it. So while it maybe hasn’t necessarily “stranded” him…it really kinda has.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
these new trucks will shut down, "IF" it can detect it, after the initial post and follow up it sounds like something worse than just lifter tick, I would guess something more internal if it is that loud... but if it was still firing on all cylinders, regardless if they were still working or not it may not have electronically detected a problem
kind of like smart phones, they really are not smart at all....... if the glass is cracked it doesn't know

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
these new trucks will shut down, "IF" it can detect it, after the initial post and follow up it sounds like something worse than just lifter tick, I would guess something more internal if it is that loud... but if it was still firing on all cylinders, regardless if they were still working or not it may not have electronically detected a problem
kind of like smart phones, they really are not smart at all....... if the glass is cracked it doesn't know
I agree. Given all of the main and rod bearing problems in these recent 6.2s and the dealer comment that it normally shuts these down, my hypothesis is a bottom end problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar