Which build months are safe from lifter problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chirp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just bought a 2021 Yukon AT4. The build month is 4/21. Is this "safe" from the lifter problems? I can't find official communications regarding which build months had the lifter problems.

Thanks!

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it is endemic to the engines with DFM. It was introduced on the truck models in 2019 and lifter failures have been reported since that time. AFM had it's problems also and took a few years to correct but issues remain long term.

If I were to buy a new GM truck or suv I wouldn't trade-in my reliable vehicle and I would make sure my state lemon laws would cover me. In other words I'd have an exit plan.

Last edited:

MarkUps

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
is deleting DFM or AFM with a tuner a warranty breaker? now im scared sh!tless that we possibly just bought a ticking time bomb.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is what it is don't let it get you down and enjoy your new vehicle, you've already crossed that bridge and the odds are vastly in your favor.

Keep an eye on Range Technologies or give them a call to see if they are working on defeating DFM I have one on the way for my 2012. It's not a tuner it plugs into your OBD port and tells the controller not to go into DFM mode. It doesn't leave a trace once removed other than some codes which might show up during an emissions test. Those will clear after a period of time or a number of restarts. At least this is how it is for the previous model years.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a 3 part vid of said issue and steps to remove and replace bad lifters

IMHO - I was like damn when I heard about this but remember the defected percentage vs the hundreds of thousands vehicles produced and sold…with no issues is significantly low. After watching the vid it did put my mind at ease. Biggest downfall is the time out of commission due to parts but that may very well be getting much better.
Also as far as an exit plan, that is a good strategy to have and currently the market is in our favor with the high resale value so you can always aim at breaking even or maybe a lil extra cash.
Best of luck.

Last edited:

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m kind of in the same boat…hoping my 2021 which was built on March doesn’t experience the problem. That’s really the only fear I have with the vehicle as otherwise it’s been pretty flawless up to this point.

So far I’m only up to 2,700 miles. Think it normally acts up between 4k and 8k from seeing other posts on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645