Which build months are safe from lifter problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2021 Yukon AT4. The build month is 4/21. Is this "safe" from the lifter problems? I can't find official communications regarding which build months had the lifter problems.

Thanks!
GM issued a directive that guides actions under warranty by build date (truck build date). But that is just to give the dealer guidance on the required work if a failure occurs.

The actual cutoff date for bad lifters being installed in engines is March 5, 2021. Engines assembled before that date may have faulty lifters. The actual time delay between an engine being completed and the truck it is destined for being "completed" can be quite long (but I think normally is within a few weeks, hence the 3/31 cutoff in GM's warranty work directive).

You can see the actual engine build date by looking up under your truck at the back of the engine, on the drivers side. You will see a white sticker with a letter code (what plant it was assembled in), a 1 or 2 next (first or second shift), then a Julian date of the year and day it was assembled, the rest is the sequence code.

All of the above was posted on another forum by a guy who works at a GM engine assembly plant. He explained the faulty lifters suffer from the failure of an internal spring that locks the lifter so that cylinder is in fire mode. When the lifter pin lock spring breaks that lifter's valve will not open and you get a solid misfire in that cylinder.

He also explained that the suspect engines are also subject to faulty valve springs being installed (also due to improper heat treating), which explains the bent push rods on some engines (valve spring breaks, valve drops down into the cylinder where it it impacted by the piston and sent back up and eventually to a pushrod that is lifted by the cam and lifter in that cylinder on the opposite cycle stroke for that valve, bang, push rod does its job and bends minimizing other damage. Some speculate that this sequence of events can also cause a DFM lifter failure (due to the force of the push rod impact), I have no idea if that is correct or not, but it does sound plausible and would explain the "found: bent push rod and collapsed DFM lifter" report.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM issued a directive that guides actions under warranty by build date (truck build date). But that is just to give the dealer guidance on the required work if a failure occurs.

The actual cutoff date for bad lifters being installed in engines is March 5, 2021. Engines assembled before that date may have faulty lifters. The actual time delay between an engine being completed and the truck it is destined for being "completed" can be quite long (but I think normally is within a few weeks, hence the 3/31 cutoff in GM's warranty work directive).

You can see the actual engine build date by looking up under your truck at the back of the engine, on the drivers side. You will see a white sticker with a letter code (what plant it was assembled in), a 1 or 2 next (first or second shift), then a Julian date of the year and day it was assembled, the rest is the sequence code.

All of the above was posted on another forum by a guy who works at a GM engine assembly plant. He explained the faulty lifters suffer from the failure of an internal spring that locks the lifter so that cylinder is in fire mode. When the lifter pin lock spring breaks that lifter's valve will not open and you get a solid misfire in that cylinder.

He also explained that the suspect engines are also subject to faulty valve springs being installed (also due to improper heat treating), which explains the bent push rods on some engines (valve spring breaks, valve drops down into the cylinder where it it impacted by the piston and sent back up and eventually to a pushrod that is lifted by the cam and lifter in that cylinder on the opposite cycle stroke for that valve, bang, push rod does its job and bends minimizing other damage. Some speculate that this sequence of events can also cause a DFM lifter failure (due to the force of the push rod impact), I have no idea if that is correct or not, but it does sound plausible and would explain the "found: bent push rod and collapsed DFM lifter" report.

That’s a great post that you found.

Anyone else try finding that white decal? Attached is what I found under mine but it looked like it was attached to part of the frame. If that’s it, I’m not seeing a Julian date listed on it…I kinda suspect that info is related to the frame and not the engine. It’s interesting that decal does show Feb 2021 and my build date shows 3/21 on the door (exact build date according to the dealer is 3/19/21).

I also found some stamped numbers into a metal area near to the left of the oil filter.

Attaching both photos…if someone finds the correct decal please let me know where the exact location is. Thanks.

Attachments

• 77F70862-FC89-4C1F-A0C3-4B3A431D3916.jpeg
    77F70862-FC89-4C1F-A0C3-4B3A431D3916.jpeg
    295.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 66567100-A08C-4354-AB97-0A16C43DF7F8.jpeg
    66567100-A08C-4354-AB97-0A16C43DF7F8.jpeg
    410.5 KB · Views: 11

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Anyone else try finding that white decal? Attached is what I found under mine but it looked like it was attached to part of the frame. If that’s it, I’m not seeing a Julian date listed on it…I kinda suspect that info is related to the frame and not the engine. It’s interesting that decal does show Feb 2021 and my build date shows 3/21 on the door (exact build date according to the dealer is 3/19/21).

I also found some stamped numbers into a metal area near to the left of the oil filter.

Attaching both photos…if someone finds the correct decal please let me know where the exact location is. Thanks.
That unfortunately isn't the label. It is fairly short and wide. It is on the back of the engine block. You can barely see it, you have to look up past the drive shaft that goes to the front diff (on 4WD) and you will just see a peak at first.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here is a YouTube clip the guy posted to show how to find the date label.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a YouTube clip the guy posted to show how to find the date label.

Thanks…that’s a fun time hunting for that. :)

I was able to find it. I studied it pretty good and typed the numbers into my phone while under there as I couldn’t get a good enough photo of it taken.

The decal did have L84 on it which is the engine code…below is the info. That third row was hard to read.

CU
L84
K2210421C

Guessing the 042 in that indicates the Julian day in 2021 which is Feb 11th so it’s only a matter of time before I’m stranded somewhere. :(

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks…that’s a fun time hunting for that. :)

I was able to find it. I studied it pretty good and typed the numbers into my phone while under there as I couldn’t get a good enough photo of it taken.

The decal did have L84 on it which is the engine code…below is the info. That third row was hard to read.

CU
L84
K2210421C

Guessing the 042 in that indicates the Julian day in 2021 which is Feb 11th so it’s only a matter of time before I’m stranded somewhere. :(
You are unfortunately correct in your decode, I understand how you feel about the results, but the good news is the actual percentage of bad lifters, within the "bad lifter" engine build window is still really small (I will ask my guy the next time I see him if he knows what the percentages are, but I honestly suspect it is single digits).

Another bonus is when I worked in a factory (so long ago it would be considered pre-historic), second shift was always the most productive and always had the best QA numbers. Yours was built on the swing shift. :)

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are unfortunately correct in your decode, I understand how you feel about the results, but the good news is the actual percentage of bad lifters, within the "bad lifter" engine build window is still really small (I will ask my guy the next time I see him if he knows what the percentages are, but I honestly suspect it is single digits).

Another bonus is when I worked in a factory (so long ago it would be considered pre-historic), second shift was always the most productive and always had the best QA numbers. Yours was built on the swing shift. :)

I hope you're right about the small percentage.

lol on the 2nd shift...that gives me a little hope. :)

Thanks!

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you're right about the small percentage.

lol on the 2nd shift...that gives me a little hope. :)

Thanks!
Best of luck, I think I know exactly how you feel.

Heck, my 6.2L AT4 was built many months after the window closed and I still look for the CEL every time I drive her. BTW, I do the same thing when I am driving my bought new 2007 Yukon. I never did that until I started reading about these lifters on the Internet. The echo chamber can be deafening at times. ;)

Norm 427

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I pressed my GMC service writer to hazard a guess as to what percentage of Yukons have the dreaded failures. He guessed 5% for the 5.3L and 10% for the 6.2L.

He emphasized he was guessing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518